Sunday, December 18, 2011

Heart Full, Feet Blistered... Part 1

Otherwise known as... I Really Should Be Writing Christmas Cards...

What a week!  Work was comprised of tying up a multitude of loose ends before our 17 (17!!!) day winter break.  (It should be noted that six of those seventeen days are weekends that we would have had off anyway, but still... a seventeen day break is a great perk to working in the public school system.)  We finished up planning for the course selection process (which will be ramping up as soon as we return in January), I partnered with our college and career specialist to send out online surveys to the My Small Town High School graduates of 2011 to help us improve our department, and spent an entire day giving out instructions to our students on how to follow-up with their PSAT results.  By Friday afternoon I was ready to get the break started.

Friday night, after I had enjoyed merry-making at two different parties hosted by current and former colleagues, respectively, GDA and I met at salsa class.  Although he is at the Advanced level, he took an Intermediate 2 class while I was in Intermediate 1.  The two classes are taught simultaneously on two opposite sides of the studio.  I have to say, though, it was a little distracting catching glimpses of GDA while I was being instructed how to do a correct Pull Through and L.A.  At one point, Reyna, whose long straight, dark hair I covet each and every time I take her lesson, told us, Ladies, you must turn on the balls of your feet.  If you don't turn on the balls of your feet, your turns will be incorrect.  There is only one of you turning on the balls of your feet, and I'm not going to name names, but know that you need to be doing this if you want your dancing to improve.

Reyna scares me a little bit.  I think she is the best instructor at giving constructive criticism; at the same time, when it's my turn to dance with her during class (she assumes the male role and leads) I'm always a little bit terrified.  I told her this the last time we danced together, and she looked hurt.  Reyna, it's just that you're so strong, and I want to get better.  It's not a bad thing. 

After class, per the usual Friday night routine, they played a couple of songs for us to practice freestyle dancing.  GDA immediately walked over, took me in his arms, and we started dancing.  I love dancing with him.  We practiced the moves that I had learned in class that night, plus a few extras.  When we were done, Reyna came by and told me.  By the way, Jen... you were the only female student spinning on the balls of your feet.  Good job.  I beamed.  I suspect it was the extra practice I've been putting in with Dr. Dance, but it also may have been that I've been in Intermediate 1 for about 12 lessons, and the others are newer to the level. 

Still, it was a great compliment coming from Reyna.

Friday night was my first night back in class since I twisted my ankle.  When I had gotten to class, my salsa friends remarked on how they hadn't seen me in a while.  I twisted my ankle, and I had to let it rest.  

You twisted your ankle dancing?

Yep.  I was doing 3/4 turns in my socks in my living room with my practice partner, and I wasn't doing them correctly and I hurt myself. 

After class, the guys checked in.  Jen, how's your ankle?

It feels fine!  Tomorrow I'm going running!  In addition to getting back on the salsa floor, I have been accutely aware that my race is just three weeks away.  If I'm going to be aptly prepared, I have got to get back out on the running path. 

GDA and I went out for a bite and to celebrate my first evening of vacation.  It was the perfect end to a hectic week.  My heart is full, and even though I really should be writing Christmas cards, this story is one that I had to tell while it's still fresh. 

Addendum:  The author has made the executive decision to divide this post into two parts.  In this season of gift-purchasing and merry-making, one mustn't spend to much time reading overextended blog posts!  Plus, her time to write has run out... it's time to spend the evening getting cozy with GDA.  A perfect end to a perfect weekend, the rest of which will be written about in Part 2.  :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment