Sunday, December 4, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes

I went blueberry picking twice this past spring, at a great u-pick patch in Clermont.  The second trip, my folks, Jess, and Julio,  came as well.  We all came away with scads of juicy, yummy blueberries and purple-stained fingers.  For a while, each weekend Mom (or more accurately I) would make blueberry pancakes for breakfast.  Mom, Dad, and I would sit out on their back porch, watch the waterfowl on the pond and the often noisy golfers pass by, and discuss the issues of the day while feasting on the fruits of our labors-- literally!

As chronicled in Growing Pains, I spent a year with my parents while waiting on the sale of my former home to go through.  Since moving out of their house in July, I don't spend anywhere near as much time with them as I did before.  I know... it's the correct order of things, but still... it seems somehow wrong to go from living with Mom and Dad to hardly ever seeing them! 

The weekend before Thanksgiving I had been trying to get in touch with my parents to see if they wanted to spend some quality time together before heading up to Georgia.  That Saturday we played phone tag most of the day.  The next morning I looked at my phone and saw that my dad had called, so I returned the call.  We talked for a minute, and then he told me, I'd better go.  We're about to start the meeting.

Oh-- you're at a homeowners association meeting?

No-- it's the family meeting. 

You're in ATLANTA???

Jen, we drove up yesterday!

That's how out of touch we've become.  My folks were out of the state and I didn't even know it!  Dad had told me that one of my cousins offered for me to stay at her house rather than her parents, which is where my folks were staying.  You know, Dad.  I hardly ever see you and Mom.  It would be nice to have some quality time together.  I'd rather stay at Auntie M.'s.

It's funny we have to be in Atlanta to spend time together.

I agree.

So... a couple of days ago, when Mom asked me if I'd like to come over sometime this weekend, I knew I needed to keep some free time in my schedule so that I could go to their place and catch up with the folks who live ten minutes away from me that since getting a full, rich life, I never see.  They have their Christmas tree up, and were wondering if I might like to decorate it. 

Sure!  Do you still have blueberries?  I do, if you don't. 

Mom did.  It's going to be a blueberry pancake Sunday morning.  The very best kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment