Monday, February 6, 2012

Skipping the Super Bowl

Otherwise known as... I Couldn't Miss Madonna...

Yesterday was a Big Day.  Of course, for the rest of the country and perhaps a good part of the world (or at least Americans like to think so) it was Super Bowl Sunday.  Last year I watched the Super Bowl with my dad.  I had read Football for Dummies and I was fairly proficient in my understanding of the game.  We both really enjoyed spending that time together, and I reflected on life one year ago quite a bit yesterday afternoon.  Friends were posting about how they were putting the finishing touches on their chili.... Wings were on sale at Publix... everything seemed to be in perfect alignment.

Except I wasn't having chili, or wings, or even beer for that matter.  Last night was the first night I cooked at GDA's house.  Jessica and Julio came over, as did GDA's friend Sonia, and my mother.  Paella was the entree du'jour.  Did I mention it was the first time I was cooking at GDA's?  And I chose paella??? 

Know this:  Paella is my signature dish.  There is something about the chicken, the chorizo, the shrimp, served on rice steamed with saffron, fresh thyme, and other spices.  It is heaven itself on a platter.  Making paella at home is one thing; making it in someone else's kitchen is a whole other animal. 

I went to Publix yesterday afternoon with my list of ingredients to buy.  I found everything on the list... and walked to my car with a bag boy who tried to convince me the whole way to my car and a few minutes at my car that I really needed to watch the Super Bowl.  Who are you rooting for tonight?

Ahhhh.... I don't really have a team.  I don't think I'm going to watch the Super Bowl.

What?  You've gotta watch!  It's the Super Bowl!  At least watch the commerials!!!  

What could I say?  I watched the Super Bowl with my father last year and he died five weeks ago and I really wasn't in the mood to relive those good memories tonight?  Did he want to hear that I just wanted to forget about everything for a few precious hours and focus on good food and friends?  No... he was a teenager.  I might watch the half-time show.  And he was off... telling me about all the folks who were set to perform in last night's show.  Gee-- you really care about this.

Well?!  It's the Super Bowl!!!

He parted with wishes that I would watch the big game.  Why did he care, anyway?  Does it make me un-American to not watch the biggest game of the year? 

Maybe.... just the tiniest bit.  I can live with that.

Back at GDA's, I started to prepare the evening's meal.  GDA was a mad man cleaning his house.  I've never seen him in such a state.  I kept telling him to get in the shower and he kept telling me that whatever he was doing was the last thing that he was doing before getting into the shower.  Seriously... our guests were coming at 5:30.  At 5:00, I was still telling him to get his lovely behind into the shower!!!  (And yes, I used stronger language than this, but this is a G-rated blog!!!) 

Dinner preparation was very smooth, and as the guests arrived, everyone was relaxed and eager to sample my paella.  Sonia actually told me that she was there to see if a gringa could prepare paella.  (Side note:  GDA calls me his gringa.)  I told her those were fighting words!  The paella turned out beautifully despite the omission of a couple of items that I had forgotten to buy.  We also had roasted zucchini as a side dish, which was a nice addition to the meal. 

I do love a good paella night... and it had been a while.  Too long, actually.  Last night we ate, we drank, we were merry, and we didn't watch the Super Bowl.  Our company left around 8, GDA and I finished cleaning up, and then we danced together for about half an hour. 

I love dancing with GDA.  Yes, I am forced to realize how much further I have to go in my salsa instruction, but it is so nice to put some music on and forget about everything else but each other and the steps.  When we finished, we watched the last minute of the Super Bowl, while simultaneously viewing the halftime show via laptop on You Tube. 

C'mon... I couldn't miss Madonna!


Addendum:  While talking with her mother, the author learned that Matthew Broderick was in a most delightful Super Bowl commercial last night.  This is for everyone who was in Mr. Davis's 8th grade history class, and for the rest of you who didn't have the privilege, but would've died for a day off...  Buehler?  Buehler?

No comments:

Post a Comment