Otherwise known as... High Maintenance After All...
In yesterday's post I wrote about how GDA surprised me at work (shocked the heck out of me, really!) with flowers and a balloon, and when I got to his home for a romantic dinner for two, there were more flowers and a big heart-shaped box of chocolates waiting for me on the kitchen table. The flowers were Gerbera daisies (daisies and tulips are my favorite flowers!)... the chocolates were Russell Stover.
Okay... I've written in the past about how I am a bit of a snob. I freely admit it. I like indie flicks and foreign films, I love Leu Gardens date nights, and I use Groupon to satiate my need for trendy restaurants while maintaining budget on a public school teacher's salary. My clothes are Ann Taylor and Loft; my makeup is Clinique. I eat hummus and French cheese; I avoid Wal-mart as much as humanly possible in My Small Town. (Although, I admit I do break down and go maybe once or twice a month for things like shaving gel and toothpaste.)
In short... I like good things. I blame this on Yon-chan, my Japanese mother, who first introduced me to dinners that cost more than my whole month's grocery bill, taking the first class train into Tokyo from Kugenuma Kaigan, and giving me elegant dessert forks bearing the Mikimoto brand. When I lived in Japan I would nip across the street to the department store nearest the high-rise where my company was located to buy a piece of Godiva chocolate from the fancy chocolate counter.
Like everything else, I developed a taste for good chocolate.
So last night, when GDA sweetly presented me with this beautiful box of Russell Stover... all I kept thinking was... I have to tell him! I can't spend the next (insert amount of time here... I'm afraid to speculate) getting huge boxes of chocolates...
I can be really dumb sometimes. So... while GDA was doing the dishes, I told him... Honey...
Yes?
I need to tell you something.
Okaayyyyyyyy...
Okay, I appreciate the beautiful box of chocolates.
Yes?
Okay... this is the thing... I would rather have a tiny box of Godiva chocolates than a big box of something else.
I bought you cheap chocolates?
No Baby... just... in the future... could I maybe have a small box of Godiva instead of a big box...
And I sunk further and further. I am a fool. And now you all know how much of a fool I am.
GDA handled my rudeness really well... and when I apologized today he told me I was dumb for worrying about it so much. Don't you know how much I love you?
Yeah... I do. It's wonderful, and scary, and such a different feeling having this man in my life who is so unselfish. So... it turns out I am high-maintenance after all. At least I am on occasion. Isn't everybody?
I really do love Godiva.... but I love GDA more. That is saying a lot!
No comments:
Post a Comment