Otherwise known as... The Invader From the South
There are a lot of people who despise Valentine's Day. I have to admit... I kind of used to be one of those people. It has been a good many years since I had a proper Valentine on the day that makes single folks cringe more than any other day of the year. I used to order pizza on Valentine's Day so that I could avoid all the people out and about all lovey-dovey-mushy and such.
Today several of my colleagues wore black in solidarity.
I was in red.
At least, my shirt was red. I paired it with the black polka-dotted magical skirt and adorable sparkly silver heels, which really are inappropriate for daytime, but they are so cute, and comfortable... and did I mention sparkly?!
Kina Grannis has a really great song called Valentine, that completely exemplifies the joy of this sweet holiday. I don't know what the future holds.. it could be that this time next year I'll be in black too... but I know that this year, on this day, I had the Best Boyfriend Ever surprise me at work, bringing me flowers and a balloon playing You're the One that I Want (from Grease, of course!). I know that I got to have a spontaneous salsa dance while I was preparing our evening picada, and got a big heart-shaped boxful of chocolates and an adorable card. (We won't talk about the contents of said card. Some things are sacred!)
GDA is... something else. He has invaded my world and stolen my heart. I wouldn't have him any other way.
Happy Valentine's Day, dear readers. I hope you have had the sweetest day with your special someone.
Jen, you have to remember that this day is sometimes very hard for people and sometimes, the best way to deal with it is to joke around- as in wearing all black.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a nice day though
Honey... I get that. This post was about how that has always been me... when I went to Publix yesterday and all the men were leaving with balloons and flowers I was shocked!!! I had always steered clear of as many humans as possible on Valentine's Day. It was a really lovely experience getting to share V-Day w/ GDA... I finally got to see what the fuss was all about. :-)
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a wonderful day. After nearly 6 years of marriage I got nothin'. But I was not neglectful. Oh well maybe next year. Hope we can both wear red next year!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Chris! I hope we're both in red too! I'm glad you were not neglectful... Jes is pretty much perfect... so I would imagine that every day with her is like Valentine's Day, right? :-) (And besides that, doesn't romance go out the window when you have a toddler?)
ReplyDelete