Otherwise known as... A Little Procrastination Never Hurt Anyone...
Have you ever heard Jonny Lang's Red Light? I have the magical radio programmed to tell me whenever this great song is playing somewhere along the satellite dial. Yesterday as I left My Small Town High School to meet Kelly for our monthly therapy session at the Aussie-themed restaurant in My Small Town, the magical radio signaled me that a favorite song or band was playing. I looked down and was pleasantly surprised to see the screen offering me the opportunity to push the magical button and hear Red Light. Just after that, you guessed it, I found myself sitting... at a red light. I was already few minutes late meeting Kelly, and I had texted her when I left work letting her know my approximate arrival time to our rendezvous, and was feeling stressed from the total busy-ness of the week.
I relaxed, let the music wash over me, and contemplated how important it is to stop every once in a while. Life has gotten so very fast. I find myself rushing to work each morning, rushing after work to spend a little time with Mom before bed, and on the weekend rushing to GDA's house. Last Friday evening I worked until 6:30, rushed home, threw my clothes in a suitcase and took a quick shower, got clean and lovely, and literally dashed out the door on my way to meet GDA at salsa class, grabbing the following:
1) Trusty laptop-- how else am I going to write Single while at GDA's?
2) Reading material-- I can't keep up with my subscriptions these days, but I still bring them with me wherever I go. I hold fast to fantasies of reading at least two articles out of The Economist each week. C'mon! It can happen! (Or at least... a girl can dream!)
3) The work I had brought home to do over the weekend. Yes, you read correctly, not only did I work four hours past contract time, I also brought work home. It's that crazy-busy time of year and my whole team is working overtime-plus.
4) Let's not forget the most essential item of all... the weekend bag that contains clothes, a hair dryer, and makeup.
(Oh dear.., I'm beginning to see why My Favorite Grumpy English Teacher with the Biblical Name thinks I'm high maintenance...)
I digress. The point is that as Ferris Bueller says... Life moves pretty fast, you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. And it seems, ever since December 29, even though it takes a herculean effort to get anything done, I've been living at an accelerated pace that even Madonna couldn't keep up. Well, maybe Madonna could... she didn't get to be Madonna by sitting on her hind quarters.
Today, while My Ever-Growing School District has a holiday, I've been researching getaway options for my mom and I this summer. My goals for today are:
1. Write the thank-notes for all the wonderful things people did for my family when my father passed
2. Get a pedicure
3. Put my running shoes to good use.
At this point, I'm just going to be glad to get the first task on my list completed. It's been weighing on me for some time and I want to get it done. Of course, I keep procrastinating. What's life without a little procrastination? This morning I've given myself my very own richly deserved... red light. I'm going to do my best to take a nice little pause each morning of the weekend as well.
It's time to drink some hot tea, and get to work on those thank-you notes. If you're local, just how are you spending The Day Devoted to Cowboys and Bull Riding?
Addendum: After reading this post prior to its publication, the author has determined that she spends a tremendous amount of time whining about her hectic life. She will do her best in the future to attempt a more manageable schedule and welcomes any suggestions from her readers on how to do so.
Grumpy? She is more amazing than any one of us could ever hope to be, and yes, while she may have grumpy tendencies (as we all do) she should never be referred to as grumpy as if that label is who she is above anything else.
ReplyDeleteI agree she is amazing!!! I often tease her about her grumpiness... it is part of her charm, and I love her for it. We are the yin and yang and it was not meant to be hurtful. I doubt she would be upset if she read the post. It's a gentle tease poked at one of my favorite people, not a character assassination, and I am sure she would not take it as such.
ReplyDeleteGive up the Economist. Trust me - like a weight off your back! ;-)
ReplyDeleteTake time to chill!
Thanks, Suzanne! There's just a few months left of my subscription. Maybe I should just bring it in to one of our Economics teachers... :-)
ReplyDelete