Otherwise known as... Have You Hugged a School Counselor Lately???
After work today as I changed into my comfy clothes, (yoga pants and a hoodie, of course) my mother stood at my doorway relating a story about her day. She had run into one of the snowbirds here in The Slightly Biggish Town (Next to My Small Town) Bay. She likes this woman very much-- she and her husband are neat people and Mom spends a bit of time with them each year when they are here. She remembered the woman's husband's name... but for the life of her, Mom couldn't remember this woman's first name. The woman's sister is visiting as well right now. That's great, Mom. The three of you can do girlie things together!
If only I knew her name!!!
I asked Mom if they were friends on Facebook. No... but her husband is on Facebook! I told her that she could look at his friends and maybe figure it out.
You know, in this day and age, we are all amateur detectives... or stalkers... depending on your perspective.
That's all it took. Mom went to her computer and started investigating. Within minutes, not only did she know the woman's name, but she also knew the name of her business, and how many kids she had.
We've all been Facebook stalkers at one time or another.
Today was another extraordinarily busy day in the life of a professional school counselor. The day was spent with eleventh graders selecting courses for their senior year. After seventh period I went back to my office and returned phone calls and emails, made a few necessary class changes and formed a schedule for a student starting tomorrow. I worked like a madwoman; it took me two hours to get everything done that was necessary just to barely break the surface.
Just part of the job I love.
Ever since returning to work after losing my dad, putting in extra hours has felt arduous in the worst way. I hate that. But it is what it is. At least I get to come home to a stalker.
Side note: This is National School Counselors Week.... so you really should hug your favorite school counselor. If you don't work in the school system, the next time you see the author, you can hug her. Hugging is the best part of the the author's work. And she don't get to hug enough.
LOL...your Mom...the Stalker!! Awwww
ReplyDeleteHAPPY NATIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELORS WEEK!!! :-)
ReplyDelete@ Anon-- Yeah... she's more of an quick little researcher than a stalker. :-)
ReplyDelete@ Philip-- Thanks! I LOVE having a week to celebrate how special my counseling folks are!