Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Middle Child... Part 1


Otherwise known as... The Laugh Strikes Again...

Tonight drama alums from My Small Town High School met up for an evening of reminiscing and catching up at Cafe Tu Tu Tango in the Biggish City Near My Small Town.  Cafe Tu Tu Tango is a tapas restaurant, where each dish comes out appetizer size, and you share with everyone at the table-- a perfect venue for getting reacquainted with old friends.

I was a little trepidacious in embarking on this outing.  Did I really need to relive my glory days?  (Yes, I was a drama geek in the most fun way-- that was glory enough for me...)  I am not a huge fan of talking in large groups, unless I have a good story to share.  Would I be able to sustain enough small talk to see me through the evening?  (And uggghhhh!  I hate small talk!  Deeper talk is better, but requires small numbers and patient ears!)

We were a party of 17, spanning ten years of life in My Small Town Thespian Troupe.  The oldest member had been a senior when I was a freshman.  The youngest present, freshmen when I was a senior. I spent the evening traversing the two groups.  I was aware that I was either in one group or the other.  Later in the evening, we stepped outside the restaurant for group pictures, and at first we took pictures of the whole group-- and then the group split.

I took pictures with the older group.  The the younger group said, Jen, we need you in our picture too.

As I walked back inside, after the multitudes of photos with eyes full of flashes, someone caught my arm.  You're so lucky Jen, because you're the middle child.  You know the old ones, and the young ones.

Tonight, I enjoyed being the middle child.  It was a privilege to catch up with old friends and find out what they are doing with their lives, and I actually loved reliving the good times. 

It was great seeing Mom too, our amazing, patient, dedicated teacher, and her husband Mac.  She was the kind of mom to us that I am to my students.  She hadn't had her children yet, so she loved on us, she kicked us in the rear, and she wasn't afraid to have the Talk.  We were tremendously lucky to have her in our lives then, and we continue our relationship now, even though we've grown up (at least physically) and she now has a family of her own.

Last night was a reminder that even though twenty plus years have gone by, we can all come together, share a meal, and talk the night away, content to spend time with people who know you when...  At one point, I laughed about something.  I have no idea what... I did a lot of laughing last night.  One of the guys looked at everyone at the table, And she's still got the Laugh.  

You bet I do.


Author's Note:  The author is planning to write Part 2, but must away to prepare for her Mother's Day celebration with her mother and sister.  Back to back outings!  What fun!







Have a Thought About the Post? I'd like to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment