One girl's experiences navigating singlehood in her hometown by any means necessary...
Saturday, May 4, 2013
Crazy Sexy Steampunky Cool
Otherwise known as... Out on a School Night...
I am about as square as square can get.
I am okay with my squareness. I cannot be anything other than I am.... and that, at the present time, is square.
I learned over the weekend last weekend that the Orlando Museum of Art's theme for May's "First Thursday" event was Boiler Plate Ball: Steampunk Steps Out.
Intriguing.
For those who don't know what steampunk is (as I didn't until I was schooled at a cool Italian restaurant with live music in the house and local art on its walls), it's sort of Victorian meets the Industrial Age, with gears and clockworks, and Jules Verne-type goggles as accent pieces. Corsets, lace up boots, bountiful cleavage, top hats, and such. Thursday night was the First Thursday event at OMA, which happened to coincide with my having completed the last assignment in my final spring course at Stetson University, where I am earning my Specialist's Degree.
I wrote a fifteen page paper, analyzing all kinds of data and solving the ills of education in one fatal swoop. At least, that's what I tell myself.
After work yesterday, I drove to my mom's place-- soon to be my place as well-- to shower and freshen up after a full day at work. I was supposed to go to bootcamp, but it was positively pouring, and my splendid technicolor sneakers were soaked through going from the Administration Building to my car, with lots of hops over flooding areas in between. I blew my hair out, put on full makeup, and fielded texts from Jack and Jen, whom I had gone to college with, at the event. Jack doesn't really know Jen, even though we were all in the same fraternity. By the time Jen pledged, Jack wasn't around very much.
Jack and I reconnected about three years ago. He tells me the truth (at least, his truth) and makes me crazy a lot of the time. But I love him. He's the big brother I never had. We fight like brother and sister, too, but I appreciate having him in my life, and how he challenges my belief system when we disagree. My plan was for him and his girlfriend to come out with Jen and I, except his girlfriend couldn't make it... so we were a party of three. Jen's boyfriend isn't into the art scene, as most guys aren't. I was solo. Well... not solo... I enjoyed the company of my old friends.
When I arrived at the museum-- late, thanks to inclement weather and a full parking lot-- Jen and Jack were already there. I was wearing my rain jacket, which mostly protected me from the rain... except, as I crossed the grass to get to the Orlando Museum of Art in an effort to be less late than I already was... despite the fact that it was raining profusely, the sprinklers turned on.
Seriously? Sprinklers? In a rainstorm? Nonplussed, I took my heels off, and ran through a clear patch of grass barefoot, sure that I would be a drowned rat by the time I got to the museum. Once I got to the sidewalk, I put my shoes back on, and leaped over deep puddles.
It was a great adventure.
Jack saw me making my way, and came out to meet my soggy self with his umbrella.
The umbrella wasn't very big, but I put my arm around his back to get closer, and appreciated the gesture, although water dripped from the tiny umbrella to my shoulder.
After we made it inside, I told Jen and Jack that I needed to freshen up, and beelined my soggy self to the bathroom.
I wasn't nearly as frizzled as I expected to be, ran a brush through my hair, and got back to the lobby to meet my friends, who had procured drink tickets. We made our way to the bar, ordered beverages, took in the atmosphere, and caught up on each others' lives. That's what I love about spending time with old friends-- there's always so much to say.
We took a turn through the steampumk exhibition room, discussing what we liked about the artwork. There were sculptures, drawing, paintings, and multimedia exhibits. Jen and I stopped in front of a heart,
and chatted up the artist, who lives in West Palm Beach. Artists fascinate and inspire me, since they spend their life focused on creating something new that speaks to them. We talked about how difficult it used to be to get old keys, but now eBay has solved most problems of minutia.
eBay is so good for that.
Jen, Jack, and I discussed which exhibits we liked best, and drank a bit more. While in line, we met a guy wearing a mechanical monkey.
Do you mind if I take a picture with you? I've never seen a mechanical monkey before.
I wouldn't wear the mechanical monkey if I didn't expect photographs.
Yeah, it was that was kind of evening. Interesting, different, and feeling so very thrilled at bucking the system at being out on a school night, even if I had gotten stuck in traffic on I-4 along the way due to the evening's enthusiastic precipitation. Jen R. is a teacher too, so we both felt like we were being sneaky being out on a Thursday night.
At the end of the evening, Jack was chatting up a artist wearing a corset, tutu-esque skirt, and lace up black leather boots. They had been talking for a while, Jen and I were ready to call it a night. I caught Jack's eye and mouthed We're gonna go, motioning for him to stay and enjoy himself.
A few minutes later, Jack caught up to us outside, and offered to walk me to my car. Jen's car was in the other direction from where I had parked. Just before we said our goodbyes, he told me, You know, my girlfriend is jealous of you, but I tell her that we're family.
It's true, Jack. We fight like brother and sister, but I love you, and that's exactly how it should be.
We hugged. Jen, I feel exactly the same way.
A friend of mine texted me a few days ago and asked me if Jack and I were dating, after seeing my Facebook check in from our evening seeing the great Cosby. Ummmmm... NO. There are lots of reasons, but the best reason is no, we're not romantic, and that suits us fine. It's so important to have good friends who aren't afraid to tell you the truth, and make you a little bit crazy at the same time.
Jack is that person for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment