Otherwise known as... I Should be Sleeping...
I had a most productive afternoon and early evening. When I arrived home from work, I made straight to the couch, got out all of my notes, and data, opened up my trusty laptop, and got to down to the business of writing-- six pages worth of data analysis. Most productive indeed. Tomorrow I will finish my paper, and I hope to go to a supercool art exhibition on Thursday evening with friends, a celebration of being nearly finished with my last class of the Spring semester at Stetson.
As the evening wore on, I started wondering what the rest of the world was doing, and opened the Facebook application on my iPhone. I posted a little something about the weather, and my homework.
After that, it was all over but the shoutin'.
I couldn't get my focus back. Arrrrggghhhh. I was my own undoing. (As is usually the case!)
My cousin M. was also on FB, and we commented back and forth, before I finally picked up the phone and called him. He is in chiropractor school (I know that's not the technical term, but it must suffice for now) just north of Atlanta, and will finish up this December. It's been a long time coming for him-- and his fiancee. They marry this summer, and I know they are excited to start the next chapter of their lives together. M. is older than me, so the fact that he is finally losing his singleness gives me hope.
While we were talking he asked me about the blog. Jen, I love to read it, but man, if I were dating you, and I knew that you had a blog and you wrote about your dates, that would make me scared!
M., GDA loved reading my posts-- he thought they were funny-- and when we broke up, I wrote about it in a respectful way. My blog isn't about making people look bad. It's about being funny, and self-deprecating, and I LOVE TO WRITE!
I also told him that a man that was too scared about what I might write about wasn't the right man for me, and he agreed. Whenever I see that you posted something, I open it up, because I want to read what you have to say!
M. told me to keep on writing.
And so I AM.
Author's note: The author is aware that her exuberance can be her own undoing in other ways too-- and is working to display reserve and poise in lieu of honest enthusiasm. It's a process.
I came across your blog after googling living in a small town! I love it! :) I may be moving to one (yes, on purpose...haha). I feel your pain on getting distracted by that. Holy crap I do too! Facebook, Twitter, Blogging...ugh...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Nicole! I appreciate the compliment! (And I LOVE comments!!!!)
ReplyDeleteIt's true, social media absolutely presents a challenge to the art of productivity, but I think I wouldn't have it any other way.
Read on! :-)