Otherwise known as... I STILL Have Homework...
Upon arriving at boot camp yesterday and taking my first warm up lap, I was pleased to discover that my friend Starfishy was in attendance. Starfishy and I graduated from My Small Town High School together, and now we both work for the District, and see each other on occasion.
Mostly at boot camp.
We're all right with that. We're busy people, but we make time for what's important. Like camp.
Starfishy usually works out at the My Small Town location of boot camp, but the past two Mondays she has been at my location. There are several things that I like about working out with my old friend:
1. We support each other. Last week one of us had to do push ups (and other exercises) while the other one took a lap. Knowing the other was in pain was impetus to run faster. We also high fived and told each other wonderful encouraging things. Because that's what we do.
2. Starfishy pushes me. Yesterday, I would have surely walked at least a few of the laps in between sets, but Starfishy was running, and I was keeping up with her. We were good like that.
3. Possibly the best reason-- we get to catch up on each other's lives. We see each other on FB, and once in a while at a school event, but other than that, Starfishy is busy with her family, and I am busy with school, work, and the Single life.
Yesterday was just another day at My Ever Growing School District
Boot Camp. Chad had us doing exercises in sets of five that worked
several muscle groups at once.
Not just one set of five, mind you.
In
the beginning, there were two exercises. Then there were three. Then
four. And I think five... Then things started coming off the board and
being replaced by what can only be described as truly torturous. After
we finished everything on the board, we took a lap. Then we started all
over again, listening to the Chad-isms, pushing ourselves to the
limit. There was a minor amount of groaning involved as well.
At one point INXS's The Devil Inside came on. (The song takes me right back to high school!) I looked right at Chad: This song is about you. He smiled and jauntily walked away, as only Chad can.
At one point in the workout, we were doing squat-thrust-kick-jumps. Sounds a bit odd, right? Well... you do a squat, then you plank, then while planking, each leg does a high kick in the air, then you finish by jumping. It works pretty much every muscle group.
It's the stuff of nightmares, I tell you.
So I was doing my first squat-thrust-kick-jump set, Chad comes by. Come on Jen, you can get your leg higher, now you've got that donkey look!
Are you saying I look like a donkey?
And he walked away.
Nobody has ever compared Jen Single to a donkey.
Only at boot camp.
Author's note: Starfishy's name has been changed in the interest of privacy. (Kindly pronounce that as an Brit would-- it's much more fun!)
No comments:
Post a Comment