Otherwise known as... Remembering
This morning I woke up at 4:15 to read assigned chapters for school since I had fallen asleep with my glasses on last night, for the second time in my entire life. As I powered up my phone, I already knew what today was, but Facebook reminded me anyway: Dad would have turned 64 wonderful years-old. In another dimension, he is 64 and healthy and still making me crazy by not wearing his teeth, putting too much sour cream on his Mexican food, and telling people I don't know my entire life story.
That was Dad.
I really miss him, but I do my best to celebrate his vibrancy, and so today I thought about how he would be eating birthday cake. I'm sure in Heaven you can have as much birthday cake as you want, if folks in Heaven even think about birthdays. I don't know if they do, but in my humble belief system, unlimited cake is an absolute component of the Heaven package.
As I got ready for work, I selected the cutest party dress (a cardigan made it work-appropriate!) and thought all day about how Dad would have loved to see me in that dress. It was the best way to spend the day honoring his memory.
Along that vein, I'm posting a couple of links from January 2011:
Ghosts of Boyfriends Past details the evening before Dad's funeral. So many worlds colliding at once. I was lucky to have had so much support, and still reflect on the amazing outpouring of love received during the most difficult time of my life.
For the Love of Dad is my tribute to Dad. I was privileged to write and deliver his eulogy. I remember composing parts of it in my head as I battled through my first run after his death. I read it sometimes when I want to remember the way Dad touched so many lives.
I don't think they worry about blowing out candles in Heaven.... but surely there must be cake.
No comments:
Post a Comment