Sunday, April 28, 2013

My Name is... Pineapple


Otherwise known as... One of the Best Parts of Life

Yesterday morning I parked my car in the Stetson @ Celebration lot and strolled to Starbucks, per my new routine.  The professor I've had for the past four Saturdays doesn't allow long enough breaks to make a coffee run.

That's fine but the situation requires a minor adjustment to my schedule.  I now leave home early enough to hit the coffee shop prior to class.

When you only have five Saturdays in a course, every minute counts. 

Yesterday morning I was pleased to see an empty store and walked right up to the counter.  The cashier looked at me and smiled.  Good morning, Pineapple.  How are you today?

I'm... AWESOME!

Is your name really Pineapple?

No-- it's what I always use when I go to a restaurant, or get my coffee.  It's more unique than my real name.

I ordered my usual, and we chatted for another minute before I went to the other end of the counter to wait for the finished product, my own delicious steaming cup of energy, the skinny latte.  Venti.  (When it comes to my Saturday morning coffee, size does count!)  The barista asked, Why Pineapple?  What's the story?

She didn't know who she was talking to.  My guy friends always laugh at me because I have a bad habit of taking several detours when attempting to share a funny anecdote.  Anecdotes, by definition, are meant to be short.  Mine end up more like novellas.  Fortunately for the reader, my written word is much more... direct. 

Still, I think I did a good job of getting to the point.

Many, many years ago, my family was sitting for a portrait at Sears.  My dad had a great smile, but when he was told to smile, he kind of looked menacing.  To coax his mouth into a better smile, the photographer had Dad say "Pineapple", which he repeated in this melodious, funny way... Piiinnnneapppplleee!  Because Jen is both common and hard to hear in a restaurant, I started using Pineapple when asked my name by restaurant folk.  It makes people smile and helps them remember me.  My dad is no longer here, but using Pineapple and recalling that memory always makes me smile. 

The barista looked at me.  That is the best story I've ever heard!  That's awesome. 

Thanks.  By this point my hand was tightly wrapped around my latte.  I sprinkled a single packet of Sugar in the Raw over the frothy milk, carefully replaced the cover, and made my way to the door.  Y'all have a good one!

Even before drinking the coffee, I felt extraordinarily energized.  Meaningful exchanges with strangers-- even strangers you see most every Saturday morning-- are one of the best parts of life.


Author's Note:  Next Saturday Jen Single will attempt to gently correct the cashier's spelling of Pineapple.  It's just a compound word, after all. 



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/29/2013

    those bossy "e's" get you everytime!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Heidi. They do. :-)

    ReplyDelete