Friday, March 15, 2013

The Reunion-to-Be

Otherwise known as... Feeling My Age...

I don't like to be negative, but despite the gorgeous blue sky and the absolutely perfect temperature (punctuated by the ping of golfers outside), I hate this time of year.  A gazillion course selection sheets to enter in the computer, whilst maintaining normal school counseling duties, compounded by the fact that I've been sick for two weeks and sound like I smoke 10 packs a day.

I'm not kidding.

It's bad.

Really bad.

Unless you like that Kathleen-Turner-sexy-deep-chronic-smoker-voice.  (If you do-- my sexy voice is available for a very brief time.)  My cute, lovely non-smoker voice will turn up sooner than later.  I hope. 

Tomorrow evening I'm meeting up with old friends from college.  It's hard to believe we graduated nearly twenty years ago, and we're all making our way in the world.  A lot can happen in twenty years.

A lot can not happen, as well.  Two of the friends I'm meeting up with are single, like myself.  Lovely women, good jobs, never married, no children.  Like me.  Spending time with them makes me feel like I'm not such an anomaly. 

I picked up a bottle of red wine on my way home from work this evening, and a bit of cheese as well.  A well deserved reward for a hard week at work, when it is impossible to procure three additional heads and six additional arms required to do one's job really well.  As I went through the checkout line, I was asked for identification, and handed over my driver's license.  Her eye's widened.  You don't look nearly forty.

I may not look it, but by golly I feel it.

Tomorrow evening I will meet up with old friends, and toast the good times.  We may weigh a few more pounds, have a few more gray hairs, and a few more wrinkles than we did in college, but the constant is that we still have each other.

Friendship is a beautiful thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment