Otherwise known as... Making Peace...
The saying goes... An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Every couple weeks I buy a bag of Pink Lady apples from Target, slice up two each morning, and have them either with my lunch or as a mid-morning snack at work.
Why two?
They are the smallest apples I've ever seen... but they're so good!
Two weeks and two days ago I woke up with a sore throat. I made three batches of chicken soup that week, culminating in a visit to my doctor that Friday. Since then, I've lost my voice twice, been consistently stuffy, and spent Saturday sneezing every hour, on the hour, and a little bit more than that.
That's a whole lot of sickness going on... particularly when I hadn't been sick in a year. Apple a day... fail.
I have come to realize that this is payback for all those days that I was perfectly healthy, and simply didn't feel like running.
Now I'm dying for a run. I also know that my body will heal itself faster if I rest it.
I went back to the doctor first thing this morning... she gave me a Z-pack, and warned me the steroids might make me "edgy".
When I got to work, our assistant Elaine, asked me how the doctor's visit had gone, and I told her what the doc had said. You've been warned.
I'm not afraid of you!
It's true... even when I'm in my worst mood I'm pretty much a pussy-cat. (Although Sis can attest that I definitely have the ability to speak my mind when provoked!)
Doc says I should feel better by Friday. The meds make me feel a bit spacy but I can live with that. I think that being sick makes us realize how good we have it when we're well. I needed that reminder. I just didn't quite need it for three whole weeks!
Being sick reminds me of my humanity. So does getting weepy-sobby every once in a while. I realize my posts of late have been a bit on the sappy-feeling-sorry-for-myself-side. In general, I am quite happy with my life. Every so often, my own ridiculously high expectations (let alone our culture's!) come bearing down on me.
Deep breath.
Every so often we all need a reminder that everything happens for a reason. Making peace with that fact is a big part of our journey.
Here's to humanity, peace, and apples.
No comments:
Post a Comment