Saturday, February 2, 2013

Single Girl, Solo



Otherwise known as... Being Bridget

So, the resounding message received from readers after the post questioning whether to attempt to forge a new love interest or merely focus on the delicate balance of graduate work and full-time job (and wannabe runner) was... the latter.  Work/school/running is enough.  And yet, this month is made for lovers.  I have determined that my absence of romantic love this February is payback for being so happily coupled last February.

I feel a kinship with the erstwhile fictional Bridget Jones except for the fact that:
1.  I don't smoke.
2.  I don't have a sleazy boyfriend/ex-boyfriend.
3.  I don't have a Mark Darcy who is incredibly haughty and yet so lovely and handsome at the same time.  (And let's not forget the best part, loves Bridget just as she is.)
4.  Where are my friends who want to whisk me to Paris?  Where are they?  (Granted, it takes a lot more than hopping on a train through the Chunnel but still!!!)

On second thought, maybe I don't have much in common with dear Bridget at all.

Except for the patterned flannel pajamas.
And the interactions with smug-marrieds.
And the longing to be a bit thinner than one actually is, but sabotaging those efforts with cheese and the occasional unit (or two!) of alcohol.
And most importantly, the fear of ending up alone.

For now, a richly satisfying professional life, as well as a challenging academic life, are enough.  (Almost.)  As for the dreaded VD, dear readers, please don't forget loving Valentines for those brave enough to fly solo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment