Otherwise known as... 16 Days and Counting...
I have a confession to make. In sixteen days I'll be running 13.1 miles at the happiest place on Earth in the Princess 1/2 Marathon. Last year I participated in Disney's Marathon Weekend (in the 1/2) because my friend had won a spot in the race. I couldn't leave her hanging-- I entered as well, and we did it together.
In theory, I love running. Running clears my head, gives me perspective, and in general makes me a much more relaxed person than I actually am.
It really does. :-)
My last training run for the Princess was 10 miles long. I ran up and down the streets named after the lower 48 in My Small Town, and finished the last three miles along the path on My Small Town Lakefront. It was a great run. I finished strong.
That was two weeks ago. It was great, and it also wrecked me. I could hardly walk the next day.
That's the truth.
Since then, I have been working-- a lot (course selection-- hello?!!!)-- and this past week I spent all of my spare time working on the two papers that are due tomorrow for the first class in my Specialist's program.
Why a Specialist's? Because I'm Jen Single-- and a Master's just isn't enough. (Okay, and I'll get paid a bit more, in 10 years when the degree is paid off.)
It's also been warmer than it should be in February. I hate running in 80 degree weather. I'm sorry Northern friends, who have been preparing for a Yankee version of a hurricane today, but it's true. I must get acquainted with the treadmill in my complex's workout room. Then I'll have no excuses.
If I am honest with myself, the reasons I have been giving myself for not running have been just that-- excuses. Running hasn't been a priority, but it should be.
The military ball is a month away, and prom is another month after that. I love chaperoning these events, but they are my own versions of the Oscars. The dress! The hair! The schmoozing!
Plus, I must acknowledge the race itself. At this point, I'm just proud of myself for following through and doing it. I may not beat my time from my first half, but at least I'm getting out there, and running my booty off, for hopefully just under three hours. For what? A medal, a shirt... and the knowledge that even though 2012 was a super crummy year, I came back, and I ran a distance that most people will never attempt.
A couple of months ago I was wearing my favorite shirt, a black v-neck that proclaimes Live <3 Run Half Marathon, at my favorite little takeout place. The guy at the counter asked, Really, you love running half marathons?
Well yeah, I do. Except... I've only run one.
Don't say that! Don't say only.
He was right. Running 13.1 miles, even if I had only done it once, is an accomplishment, not to be slighted.
I plan to continue to run and conquer the stress-eating, and the time management, and all the little voices in my head that tell me that because conditions aren't perfectly right, it's okay not to get my gear on.
Because excuses are pathetic, and I'm stronger than that.
No comments:
Post a Comment