Otherwise known as... A Busy Yet Lovely Independence Day
Today started as another day in my new place since I planted an herb garden. I filled a stockpot full of water, hauled it out to the terrace, unceremoniously dumped the water into the watering can, and proceeded to give my green lovelies a drink. I made coffee, I wrote Single, I called my friend Jess, with whom I spent the last Independence Day. (It's amazing how much has changed in a year's time!)
It was a good morning.
I had plans to attend a 4th of July gathering at a teacher-friend's house, and texted another teacher-friend to see if she might want to ride together.
She did.
The rest of the morning was spent getting ready for the party. I spent too much time looking at myself in swimsuits deciding which one made me look the least fluffy. I've gained about five pounds since I ran the half-marathon in January and all but ceased exercising full-stop afterward. I know that I will start running again, and I need to get off my rump (or my mattress!) first thing in the morning and actually get out there and do something. Anything. I've even made a Pinterest board, hoping it will motivate me.
Motivation is lacking, to say the least. So far, the board isn't working. But it's not the board's fault. The fault is mine, and I own it.
After pool-partying, socializing, and delighting in all manners of 4th of July delights-- a grilled cheeseburger, coleslaw (I never used to like coleslaw!), and a sampling of the dessert offerings, including one made with mustard (decidedly not my favorite but points for originality) as well as my own yummy contribution, homemade brownies-- my friend and I took our leave. She was ready for a nap. I wanted to check out an amazing sale at the Ann Taylor Outlet.
I know what you're thinking. An outlet mall? In the Biggish City near My Small Town? On a holiday? She must be mad!
I probably was, a little bit. My shopping excursion was successful, having secured a pair of shorts, a singular pair of nice capri pants for work, and three cute blouses. I stayed within budget thanks to the uber-fabulous sale, and while the shopping wasn't the best experience I've ever had (the mall was crowded as expected, the breezeway containing an odor unpleasing to the olfactory sense), it wasn't terrible either, considering the factors. Holiday. Biggish City which thrives on tourism. Outlet mall.
That said, beware of outlet shopping on a holiday. Or any other day for that matter. It could assault your nose. Or your wallet. Or your polite sensibilities.
Don't say I didn't warn you.
Author's note: The author missed a phone call (three, actually) from GDA, while attending the pool party, for the following reasons: #1. iPhones and pools don't really go hand in hand. #2. The author decided, even after getting out of the pool, that she didn't want to be one of those people in a gathering with her phone in front of her face. She wanted to be present. And she was. She did have two great voice mails waiting for her when she left the party, and she knows she will talk to GDA tomorrow. At the risk of a backlash, she would like to encourage others to leave their phones in their bag (or pocket) when in social situations, and poses the following question to those who choose otherwise: Why bother going out if texting is infinitely more interesting?
No comments:
Post a Comment