Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Bachatera-to-Be

Otherwise known as... The Trouble with Shines

GDA (my boyfriend of seven months, the Great Dancing Argentinian) and I went to Bachata class this evening at Salsa Heat.   I love bachata, for the following reasons:

1.  It's slower than salsa-- which at times makes it a little bit easier.
2.  It's sexy-- and although I don't think of myself as being sexy, it's kind of fun to pretend!
3.  It's romantic-- and I am nothing if not a romantic.

Eymar is the instructor for the Intermediate Bachata class we take each week.  He is funny, and likes my laugh, and encourages my less-than-graceful dancing.  Usually when we learn bachata, it's all partner work, which definitely makes it easier on me.

All I have to do is follow the lead.  (I've gotten much better at following in the 10 months I've been taking lessons.)

Tonight, however, Eymar started the class with a shine.  A shine is doing a move without being led and usually requires a bit of fancy footwork.  I know I can't exactly show readers the steps, but this is the count:  One and two, three four five and six seven eight.  One and two and three and four (pause) six seven eight.  I returned to the dual left-footed dancer that resided within me last September.  No matter what I did, I couldn't get it right.  Naturally, once we started the partner work it was cake... but the shine... I felt like a super-fool.  I just kept my feet moving and tried to match the location of my body with my partner until the shine was finished and he picked me up again.

I felt really bad that GDA had to claim me at the end of the lesson.

It was that bad.

But then, something amazing happened.

You know the scene in Dirty Dancing where the guy is showing Baby's sister the steps and she looks like she's getting it but it's not natural?  That was me and GDA.  He broke down the steps to the shine really slow, and we practiced in the studio.  Then they started playing a song and we danced bachata moves we've learned in previous classes and I felt better.

As GDA drove me home and I asked him if he was embarrassed when I have trouble getting the moves.  No Baby, I just feel bad for you because I can see you getting frustrated and I want you to relax. This is true.  It is frustrating when everyone else is getting the moves and I'm the fool.  (But of course, there are others who are having trouble as well, but I'm so preoccupied with myself that I don't observe them!)  I need to work on relaxing and just enjoying the moment.  Doesn't everybody need to do that? 

I asked GDA if we could continue practicing at my place.  Of course!  By the end of 30 minutes of one-on-one with my sweet, not only could I do the shine, but I could dance the shine with my partner.  I didn't have to fake it, or feel ridiculous, I just needed to practice, and increase my confidence.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I don't have the same cultural background as most of my classmates, which puts me decidedly at a disadvantage.  But I love the music, and I love the dancing, and when I finally do get each new combination, it's the best kind of fun. 

I do believe it builds character to go outside one's comfort zone.  Every time I set foot in Salsa Heat I am building character, as well as dance skills.

I've never been in a relationship with someone I could dance with... well, dance any sort of proper steps anyway.  When GDA and I take our place on the dance floor, whether it's at the studio or in the living room, even though I have a long way to go, it feels like magic.

Everyone should have a little magic in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment