Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Heartstrings...

Otherwise known as... Home is Where the Garden Is...

I returned from an eight-day New England vacation with Mom two weeks ago today.  I love my mother.  She is an amazing woman, so full of life, and wit, and all things good. 

Eight days is a long time to spend with one's mother, no matter how great their relationship.  And I believe ours is better than average.  Perhaps even better than that. 

As expressed in Taking the Trash Out... or Not..., two days after returning from the trip, I opened Mom's door to take out the trash, and found a flood.  Mom was spending a bit of time with family in north Georgia, and the charge was mine to take care of business.  I'm used to getting things done-- I think this is one of my positive traits. 

Two days after the discovery of Great Flood, Great Dancing Argentinian left to visit his family in South America for two weeks.  We've been together for over six months now.

Time flies.

At first, when GDA left, I have to admit I enjoyed the breathing room.  With both my sweet and my mom away, there were very little demands on my time, other than making sure the situation was under control at my mom's house.  I finished getting my place in order.  I know I am prejudiced, but this wonderful little condo on a golf course in the Biggish City near My Small Town, is about as close to perfect as could be.  I rarely hear my neighbors (and when I do it's merely their door when they come in between 9 and 10 each night) and the amount of space I have is just right. 

After having the majority of my things in storage for two years it feels great to have beloved mementos, furniture, artwork, and books organized in a normal, home design, fashion.  Japanese chinaware housed in the china cabinet;  the red Pier 1 wineglasses that my parents gave me for Christmas some years ago standing tall on top of the bookcase that holds my cookbook collection.  Last week I purchased a loveseat and armchair/ottoman set from a newlywed couple on Craigslist, completing my very comfy living room. (Aiko-chan looks so sweet when she curls up and naps on these new acquisitions!)

In the past week I have joyfully prepared meals for friends in my kitchen.  Chinese dumpling soup, Korean stew with pork braised in miso, spicy paella complimented by homemade sangria, and yesterday, in honor of the upcoming holiday, an all-American vegetable soup with fresh corn, yellow-squash, and green beans.  I have been in cooking heaven.   Over the weekend I installed a herb garden on my back terrace-- chives, basil, rosemary, sage, dill, two kinds of mint, and Italian parsley at the ready should a recipe call for their bright flavors.

In my world, home is where the garden is.

I digress.

GDA has faithfully called me nearly every day that he's been gone.  His father is quite sick, which is what necessitated the solo summer trip.  You know what they say about absence and the heart.  GDA and I keep each other laughing, but at times our cultural divide requires a great amount of patience and understanding.  Like any relationship, ours requires compromise.  And that is normal.

I have treasured luxuriating in time and space to myself, but now I am ready for my sweet to return.  In five days I will pick GDA up at the airport.  There's nothing like seeing my beloved walk out into the common area, and into my waiting arms.  It's a great feeling.  And makes everything else worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment