Sunday, July 15, 2012

Bringing the Sexy Back

Otherwise known as... She Really Didn't Know?

This past week I had my own little wake up call with myself about my recent weight gain (albeit minor) and complete lack of physical activity in my life.  I had taken the term couch potato to new levels.

I am not kidding.

I almost wish I were. 

But that's neither here nor there... the point is that on Friday evening GDA and I did something that he's been wanting me to do for ages.  We went to a Zumba class.  Together. 

GDA has been taking Zumba for a long time.  In fact, the second time I ever saw him after we met at a social last September was when I arrived at Salsa Heat a bit early for my Beginner 2 class, and he was taking Zumba.  We spoke for a minute and he said he was going home to shower and he'd be back to take the Intermediate class later. 

I had a serious crush. 

That was then.  This is now. 

Now, or at least this past Friday, I found myself taking a Zumba class right along side my boyfriend.  It was the very definition of the word awkward, but not for GDA.  GDA was completely eating it up.  After a dance that had us shaking our bom-bom from side to side I looked over at him.  You enjoyed that, didn't you?

He met my gaze.  Yes.

I knew it.

And on it went.  Even though it was my first time, I think I held my own.  I also think that doing Zumba is going to help me bring my sexy back.  Except for one crucial thing:  I've never really been sexy in the first place. 

I am a great deal many things, but sexy really isn't one of them.  I know that GDA would disagree, but this is how I feel.  Which I know is something that needs to change from the inside, out. 

Let's get back to Zumba, shall we?  Doing the Zumba moves... well... let's face it... they are the very definition of sexy.  Shaking one's bon-bon and every other body part.  Getting attitude on one's face... and the music!  Very, very sexy.

In salsa and bachata, I think I've gotten the technical aspect of the dances down reasonably well... but what sets the other dancers apart from me is their ability to feel truly comfortable in their bodies and shake what their mamas gave them. 

I try, but I don't shake very well.  I don't move my hips in that sexy salsa way, I don't use my rear end to knock other dancers off the floor when dancing bachata.  (Which is what our instructor told us we should be doing!!!)  The caress of the hair, the styling of the hands, the quick head turns... I know that they'll come, but for now... they seem out of reach.

Because I have never been sexy. 

So Friday evening I tried something new.  I think I found the way I'm going to get my exercise during these crazy hot Florida summer months, and I just might have found a way to get just a little bit sexy.

After class I drove home, took an ice cold shower, dressed, and went back to Salsa Heat for class.  After class GDA told me some folks were going for a bite to eat and then dancing.  Do you want to go?

Sounds great!

As we hung around the check-in desk making small talk waiting for the group to organize itself and get going, GDA and I clasped hands.  When we first started dating, we kept it on the down low at Salsa Heat.  It's like dating someone from the gym (or work)... if it goes bad, you still have to see each other all the time, and everyone knows about it.  We've been together for a while now, and I don't even think about being affectionate with my sweet when we're at the studio.  It just comes natural.

So we're standing there, holding hands, and my instructor, the lovely Raina, looks at us.  What's this?  What's this?  She was looking down.  I had no idea what she was talking about.

I looked down at my shoes.  What? 

Raina's husband, Izzy, summed it up best.  You didn't know?  They've been together for like six months.  Izzy runs the check-in desk at Salsa Heat.  He sees all.   

This is great!  This is GREAT!!!  I'm so happy for you.  Raina was gushing.  I truly was shocked she didn't know, but it was nice to hear her complimenting our togetherness.

It really is great.  

We went out Friday night, and danced until nearly one in the morning.  I was a little stiff yesterday... and today I hurt everywhere.  The pain is worth it though, because Friday night, we had fun, dancing together, sexy or not.  Because that, my friends, is what we do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment