This is Homecoming Week at My Small Town High School. Yesterday we dressed as Super Heroes/Super Villains. I wore my Evil Queen t-shirt. An homage to Snow White's stepmother, the form-fitting black shirt bears an bright red apple.
Yesterday afternoon, as I was getting dressed for My Ever Growing School District's Fall Bootcamp, which started last week, I realized I didn't need to change my shirt. The Evil Queen is made of bamboo, and is in my rotation of running shirts. So I kept my other shirt clean and comfy in the gym bag.... and drove to camp, making it just... on... time.
I didn't know it, but my favorite workout was on tap for the day. It's a day when Chad, our fearless instructor, has us compete against ourselves, with sets of ten, adding up to 100, of the following exercises:
- Jumping jacks.
- Bicep curls.
- Bent over rows.
- Push ups.
- Sit ups.
- Hip raises.
- Lunges.
- Squats.
- Tricep dips.
- Shoulder presses.
- Leg lifts,
- Toe Touches.
- 10 Laps.
I may have left off one or two other exercises, but I think I've got it all down.
Have I told you this is my favorite workout?
I must be sick.
Chad came by about three-quarters of the way into the workout. He examined my sheet. Jen, do you think you're in the best shape of your life?
No. I was in the best shape two years ago, when I was boot camping, and running, and salsa dancing.
The other piece of this exchange is that I weighed about six pounds lighter. Just six pounds. In terms of fitness, I think I probably am in the best shape ever. I certainly never started boot camp very nearly completing the entire sheet! (But the six pounds less would sure be nice!)
There is one negative, though, to completing the sheet: 100 sit ups. I did them, in two sets of thirty and two sets of twenty, and now I am suffering the consequences. The skin directly covering the area where my spine meets the tail bone... has been rubbed raw. I literally have a pain in the rear.
I wish I could say this was the first time.
I am almost used to it.
By tomorrow, the rawness will scab over, then the sore will heal, and I'll be good until the next time I have to do one hundred sit ups, and hopefully I'll bring more padding next time. (Although my workout mat is pretty cushiony-- but clearly not... cushiony... enough!)
My little sit ups/skin rubbed raw issue is a good analogy for new relationships. You expose yourself. Sometimes you get hurt.... but you heal, and start over, and you know, you go back for another round, perhaps a little bit more protected than before. And hopefully, the next time, you won't get hurt, or at least, not as much. But you've got to try.
***
Besides the 100 sit up/sensitive skin pain, did you catch that I did 100 push ups yesterday? If I can do that, I can do anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment