Friday, October 11, 2013

Down But Not Out...

Otherwise known as... Ever the Overachiever...

A week ago on Thursday, I began my usual morning run.  Every time my left foot hit the ground, it felt like I was striking a bruise.

Ouch.

I had started out planning to run four miles, but I ended up just doing one, and running home.  I know better than to push through pain when injured.

I spent last weekend mostly being gentle with myself, and slept in until five this week, rather than rising at my usual 4:30.

I'd rather be running than sleeping.

I'd also rather not be injured.   I accept this injury as purely my own, because I am an overachiever, and I overdo pretty much everything.

I should have run every other day, rather than nearly every day.

I should not have increased mileage, and speed, at the same time, especially with the addition of my bootcamp workouts.

I knew better.

I was enjoying the miles, and the speed, and the way that I felt every time I completed a workout.

So now, I haven't run in eight days.  I saw my massage therapist tonight, who did nothing but work on my left leg for an hour, and told me what was truly wrong.  I have a tight IT band, which runs from the knee to the thigh, and is a commonly injured area for all runners, seasoned and new to the sport.   I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday, to make sure I can continue to train for my next half marathon on December 1st. 

As much as I enjoy distance running, I'd rather run four miles three or four days a week than run long on the weekend and not be able to run for weeks at a time.  I know that the reason I have this injury is because I didn't allow my body the rest it needs to heal between workouts.

Sometimes rest is the hardest thing to allow in one's life.  At least, that's what I have found. 

I have, however, found a silver lining.  This injury can be caused by wearing shoes with excessive mileage.  Perhaps I might find myself in a new pair of running shoes by the end of Sunday evening.  That would be a pretty incredible silver lining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment