Sunday, September 29, 2013

Nine Months (No... Not Those Nine Months...)



Otherwise known as... Tremendously Overdue...

For the past nine months, every Saturday (with the exception of maybe four or five Saturdays) I have attended school from 8:30 a..m. to 5ish p.m. at Stetson @ Celebration in my endeavor to earn a Specialist's degree in Curriculum and Instruction.

In January, I was hoping that returning to school would help me to regain my focus after losing my dad.  

I was correct in my assessment.

There was no way I couldn't regain focus and be successful.  Each and every week, I completed assigned reading, wrote papers, and arrived to class ready to discuss the latest issues in education.  I returned to the overachiever I knew (and loved) and truly got out of class as much as I put into it.

Possibly more.

Did I miss my stress-free Saturdays?  Unequivocally... yes.

Did I regret my decision to return to school? Absolutely not.

There were about five other students in my class who are part of the Specialist cohort... everyone else is earning their Master's.  They will complete their education in December.

For now, I have a reprieve, not starting class again until next spring, to allow time for us to focus on our research projects.  My project got underway this past week.  My project is exciting, and challenging, and will hopefully impact the way administrators view school counselors.  I plan to present my research results to the school board next May.  

My advisor at Stetson wants me to publish as well.

One step at a time.

Yesterday was my first day not attending class with the rest of my cohort... The first day I wasn't sitting next to Luke, punching him in the arm when he inevitably let loose with a sharp and witty zinger... The first day I didn't go to lunch with my Stetson family.

I ran five miles in the morning, finishing just as everyone was beginning was beginning class.  We messaged each other on FB, and then... I drove home, cleaned up, and had coffee.

I wasn't listening to lecture.

I wasn't punching Luke in the arm.  (I'm afraid I did that a lot.  He needed it.  They weren't strong punches.)

I wasn't advocating for the appropriate use of school counselors in the public school system amongst my fellow future leaders.

I was drinking pumpkin-flavored coffee, reading magazines, and watching bad television. 

Okay, I did a little bit of work too, in preparation for classroom guidance sessions in the coming week, but for the most part, I had a super-down day.  A well-deserved, down day.  I also chuckled at Facebook posts marking my absence at Stetson.

I missed my Stetson family, and it was good to be missed in return.

Our friendship is stronger than spending Saturdays in class together.  I know that.

Today has been much of the same.  I ran six miles this morning, visited with an old friend for a bit, ran a few errands, and then... blissfully... relaxed.

Relaxing is a beautiful way to spend a weekend, even for an overachiever like me.




No comments:

Post a Comment