Otherwise known as... Jen Single's Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day...
It really wasn't THAT bad.
After propelling myself into six weeks of awesomeness-- mostly due to my incredible vacation in California after a summer slaving over grad school assignments and work commitments-- I was bound to falter.
I didn't start my day running. I started my day scarfing yogurt, berries, and a lone cup of coffee over the sink so that I could make it to work in time to cover bus duty for a colleague on vacation. Ironically, I was held up by the bus that picked up children in my own development. I parked, dropped my things in another counselor's office to save time... and ran.
I got to the gate just... in... time. I crossed kids, held up buses, I told the buses to go ahead, I held up kids... it was an eternal twenty minutes. When I left the post, I told a dean that the staff member who does that job does it so much better than I did. She paid me a compliment... It took him a while to figure it out too, Jen.
From bus duty, I returned to my office, and went about the business of my day, knowing that my senior letters were... waiting.
They're still waiting. So are my senior appointments, which is when we meet with our seniors in homogeneous groups to assure they have a plan to help them get from Point A (My Small Town High School) to Point B (wherever their post-secondary dreams take them).
The pressure is on.
There are other elements of pressure-- my upcoming certification exam, current grad school assignments, and projects I have taken on in my Year of Awesomeness at My Small Town High School. On my best days, I walk through these challenges with grace.
Today was not one of my best days. I was grumpy. Awesomely grumpy. Probably the only folks who knew it were the folks in my department, and my mother, but other than that... I kept the grumpiness under wraps as only I can. Halfway through this morning my administrator said, Hey, I heard you did bus duty today!
If you could call it that-- it was more like... bus tragedy. (Then in my head, because I am a person in love with words I thought... catastrophe would have been a much better word! I wasn't that bad... but one could never call it stellar!)
Everyone can have a bad day. Tomorrow I'll be starting my day with a good run, with powerful music and great sweat, pounding out this grumpy day, ready to return to work with the enthusiasm I am known for.
And that's...exactly how it should be.
Have a Thought About the Post? I'd like to hear it!
No comments:
Post a Comment