Sunday, September 1, 2013

Everyone Needs a Day in the Sun

Otherwise known as... Redneck Heaven

I was supposed to go to dinner with my friend Jack on Wednesday night, but upon checking in with each other on Tuesday, decided to postpone our plans until Saturday.  His girlfriend was going out of town, leaving him with a weekend of unexpected free time.  I texted him back and suggested kayaking at Wekiva Island.  I hadn't been there in at least two years and it's one of my favorite places to chill in central Florida. 

Saturday morning I picked Jack up at his home in the Biggish City Near My Small Town just after ten.  We popped by Publix for picnicking supplies, as well as additional sunscreen, then pressed onward to Wekiva Island, which is located close to Wekiva Springs State Park.  I was wearing my swimsuit and super-adorable tie-dyed cover up that is too short for normal outings, but at Wekiva... it's exactly the perfect combination of cute and casual, and looks more like a dress than a typical cover up.  And... just... a... little... bit... sexy. 

It's nice to get of school counselor mode every now and again. 

So we drove to Wekiva Island, rented a double kayak, and paddled to Wekiva Springs State Park, where we picnicked and people-watched for a while.  The park was full of families taking advantage of the cool spring water in the midst of the late August heat.  And loads of tattoos of all sorts.

After a while the sky darkened, so Jack and I opted to paddle back to the point of origination.  We saw an alligator sunning himself, all kinds of fish in the water, too many turtles to count, and almost caught sight of an otter that didn't quite break the water's surface.  We were paddling quickly to outrun the bad weather, and before we knew it, the sky returned to its customary blue, the sun coming back out in blazing glory.

We turned the kayak in, purchased some refreshment, and returned to the dock.  Jack went swimming-- I stuck my feet in the water.  We walked over to the outdoor bar, watched the UF game, and talked football.  There were all kinds of dogs, and everyone was relaxed and... happy.  Country music played on the radio, and even though I'm country's biggest fan... the day felt perfect.  The day was perfect. 

Wekiva Island is a perfect slice of redneck heaven, even for a non-redneck like me.

We hung out for a few hours, then I dropped Jack off at home, and drove back to My Small Town, exhausted from running five miles in the morning, followed by a day in the sun.  Everyone needs a day in the sun.  Yesterday I had mine.  I hope your Labor Day weekend has included at least one day in the sun as well. 



Have a Thought About the Post? I'd like to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment