Today started out like most Sundays this summer, when I wasn't on vacation or hadn't stayed up past the witching hour on Saturday night.
I woke up, put on my gear, drank a bottle of water, and drove to the lakefront in My Small Town. I ran four miles, finishing the last mile faster than the first, and stretched well, sweat pouring off me.
I don't believe I had ever sweat so much in my life.
I was looking forward to the day, because I had plans to attend a lunch party with my good friend Sandy, who lives in India. Sandy's family moved to my neighborhood when she started high school. She was involved in the Drama Club, and was a part of my circle of friends. She gave me tapes (yes, tapes) of music mixes she thought I would like, containing Sting, Cure, Smiths, and... the Dead Milkmen. Nothing was better than a party where Just Like Heaven came on (usually again and again and again) and we would all dance like no one was watching.
It was... exactly how high school should be.
Sandy has been in the U.S. since shortly before having her son seven weeks ago. She'll be returning to India in a few weeks, but in the meantime, we intend to catch up on each other's lives. So much has changed in twenty years.
I spent the afternoon with Sandy, and friends of hers from college, who have four children of their own, ages seven and under. With the addition of Sandy's own baby, as well as another friend of ours from high school who was in attendance with her own eighteen month-old son, that made six children, and four adults. We were... totally outnumbered. And normally, being around so many babies gets overwhelming for my unwed, single self.
Babies are supposed to make you happy, but... in the past, I've gotten a little sad. Not today though, so I'm hoping I've turned a page. We talked breastfeeding, types of birthing, and even peepee tipis. Although I am not a mother, I participated fully in the discussions. Being a school counselor, and an elementary education teacher before that, helps. I know kids.
Being around such amazing parents-- and babies-- felt good, and gave me hope, for the future.
Spending time with my old friend in her new role was the best way to while away a Sunday afternoon. Feasting on curry, making sure the children didn't choke or electrocute themselves, and drinking steaming cups of chai was simply... the best.
Tomorrow morning I'll be back at pounding the pavement throughout my neighborhood. Weekend or not, it's the best way to start the day.
Have a Thought About the Post? I'd like to hear it!

No comments:
Post a Comment