One girl's experiences navigating singlehood in her hometown by any means necessary...
Saturday, August 24, 2013
The Year of Awesome
Otherwise known as... Laughter, Cute Shoes, and the Power of a Great Vacation
So... when I last wrote a post for Single, I was on vacation. An AWESOME vacation, full of the exhaustion that comes with days of hiking amongst the biggest trees, kayaking, and even swimming in a lake, at an elevation of 7000 feet-- bald eagles flying overhead, surrounded by evergreens and even higher mountain peaks. My time in California was best seven days I've had in I can't remember how long.
There's something so rejuvenating about getting away, having extraordinary experiences, and returning to everyday life... a little bit changed, in the best way.
I flew home three weeks ago tonight, spent the following day cocooning, doing laundry, regaining energy after the extraordinary journey, and started back at My Small Town High School the day after that. I was eager to return to the routine of work after my full, academically-minded summer, writing papers, attending class, reading pages and pages of research.
Everyone needs a vacation, but everyone should also have a job they can return to that gives them purpose and joy. Really.
I have proclaimed this year, as I undergo my enormous research project, co-chair the My Small Town High School Advisory Council, and take the last four classes to earn my Specialist's degree (in addition to the good work I do day in and day out as a school counselor) as my Year of Awesome.
Awesomeness is all about perspective. In California I breathed cool mountain air deep into my lungs. I hugged trees. I even visited Yoda at the headquarters for LucasFilms at the Presidio, walked the Golden Gate Bridge, and witnessed the most incredible sunset I have ever seen. My vacation was seven days of awesome, but I'm not ready to leave that feeling behind. Going to work every day with a joyful spirit, ready to help students find their own paths to awesome... I fully recognize the gifts that I have been given and intend to make the most of them.
The state of education is far from perfect.... but I believe in myself, my team of caring counselors, our supportive administration, and the amazing teachers I get to work with each and every day. I've invited them to come with me on my Year of Awesome. Infusing mundane situations with my laugh's effervescence, cute shoes on my feet, a spring in my step, just makes everyday ... AWESOME.
I know this is my year. I hope this is your year, too.
Have a Thought About the Post? I'd like to hear it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment