Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Balancing Act

 Otherwise known as... Tomorrow is Another Day...

We are upon the fourth week since students reported to My Small Town High School, the fifth week since the teachers returned, and the sixth week since the entire school counseling staff began working in earnest after our summer break.  Students, for the most part, have settled into their classes, we have begun the first of our parent-teacher conferences, and fall athletics are in full swing.

At My Small Town High School, everything is humming along quite well-- which is just the way I like it.

I have two weeks left in the last class I take with our mixed Master's Specialist's cohort at Stetson's Celebration campus.  The Master's candidates will have two more classes following our current class, Educational Finance, while my next class doesn't begin until next spring, after the folks in my Stetson family will have graduated. 

I am glad to have a break from balancing work and school commitments, but I will miss my friends, and the fun we get into outside of class.  I am sure we will continue our relationship, but without class to throw us together each and every Saturday, I am sure that we'll see each other a little bit less. 

And that's okay.

Currently we are spending a couple of evenings together each week studying for our upcoming Educational Leadership certification exam, the FELE.  These study sessions have been a bit more social than academic, but our intentions are pure.  We have signed up to take the exam on the same day in the next month, but we are keeping the date secret, just in case one of us doesn't pass a portion of the exam.

I am sure that is not going to happen, but my Stetson family wants to cover all of the bases. 

I suppose it is a good trait that future educational leaders have a contingency plan in case of failure.

We will not fail, we are too prepared. 

That is all I will say about that-- for now.

I started my day today with a six-mile run at My Small Town Lakefront.  It took me just over an hour to complete the run.  I was pleased with my time, and it felt good to go a bit long.  I am ahead of my training plan for the next half marathon I am participating in, the Space Coast Half Marathon, on December 1st.  I figure I will keep increasing my mileage until I hit my weekend ten-milers, then hold at that distance until it's time to increase again, about a month before the race.

I like having goals, and working toward them.  Goals give me purpose. 

There are things I could do better, like putting away my clothes after I've washed them rather than piling them up on a chair.  My desk at work is perpetually covered in paper.  My car has empty plastic water bottles that I drink on my way to work each day.  (I know, I know-- but I drive a hybrid!  My use of bottles is balanced by the small amount of petrol my car consumes.)

I am not perfect.  I am just trying to make my way in the world.  Aren't we all?  But I have to say, I have got this running routine down. 

After the run, I showered, had my usual yogurt and berries breakfast, and set out to work on one of the most important tasks my department accomplishes each September:  Senior Letters.  Senior letters give parents and students information about which graduation requirements still need to be satisfied if students are to graduate on time in May.  GPA, testing, and course requirements yet to be fulfilled are all included.  To complete senior letters, we must first do a credit check.  I worked on my seniors' credit checks today for four hours, finishing just after two p.m.  I was spent.

The letters themselves will have to wait until tomorrow.  As my fellow counselors say when we have worked a day far too long, with hours more of work waiting to be done, tomorrow is another day.

I hope your tomorrow is an awesome one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment