Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Beware of Rogue Salad Greens...

Otherwise known as... The Red Ones Can Get You Too...

At the conclusion of our last outing, Joe mentioned having a coupon for Timpano's on Restaurant Row.  Sounds good!  How about Friday?

Jen... we don't have to wait until Friday.  Let's meet Wednesday.

Okay-- Wednesday it is!

Even though I have a lot to do during the week, I love driving home, getting sparkly, and heading back out again-- once in a while, at least.  Tonight was one of those nights.

I was not prepared, however, for the scene I would encounter.  Have you heard of Rocco's Taco's? It's another place on Restaurant Row, strategically located next to Timpano's.  For months (years?) it was under construction, and lots of folks eagerly awaited it's unveiling.  Apparently, that time has come.

When I turned into the shopping center where Timpano's is located, I was aware of the valet parking available, and turned in the other direction.  I hate valet parking, and acquiesce only when absolutely necessary.  Tonight was not one of those times.

I found myself driving halfway across the shopping center.  Seriously, I had at least a six minute walk to the restaurant.  But that's okay, because I was meeting Joe, who no doubt would regale me with his latest round of stories. 

I was not disappointed.  While the hostess showed us to our table, we bantered about the hike that was the parking situation.  When we were seated, we perused the menu and ordered our beverages.  I also ordered a salad.  I was in a salad kind of mood.

Do you ever get like that?

Well, tonight I devoured Timpano's Watercress and Arugula Salad.  Arugula is my favorite green, after all.  And they served it with crumbled blue cheese and thin Granny Smith slices.  Amazing.  Until that is, I was finished, and I was acutely aware of a bit of salad that had inconveniently strayed to the gums above my front teeth. 

I tried like the dickens to move that piece of lettuce with my tongue.  It would not budge.  I even put my hand in front of my mouth because I was sure that onlookers could see my tongue attempting to dislodge the rogue green.  I know... it's graphic.  But it's true!!!! 

Finally, I said to Joe... I've got lettuce...

I know, I can see it.

That's all I needed to hear.  I was up from the table in a flash... only... I had NO IDEA where the washrooms were!  So, I headed back to the hostess stand.  I put my hand in front of my mouth.  Excuse me, can you tell me where the washrooms are?

The bathrooms?

Yes-- I've got lettuce.

OH-- I hate that!!!  The hostess politely showed me where the washrooms were, where gamely bared my teeth in front of the mirror.  I had a piece of RED lettuce covering my left front tooth.

The horror.

It took all of a second to remove the rogue piece of lettuce, but ooooohhhhh the damage was done.

Despite the lettuce incident, the rest of the evening was lovely.  Our main dishes arrived and they were fantastic.  Osso bucco for Joe, pan-seared scallops for yours truly, served on the creamiest polenta EVER.  I will definitely think twice before ordering a salad again... because you never know about rogue greens.  Or reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment