Otherwise known as... What's Important
This morning I had my yearly checkup with my doctor, to make sure the body's in good working order and I am not in danger of dropping dead anytime soon. She has a great bedside manner, and chatted me up during the examination.
How are things going, Jen?
I'm good, but I'm back in grad school, getting my Specialist's degree in Educational Leadership. I have two classes this summer, so they're keeping me very busy.
How's the boyfriend? I forgot that we had talked about GDA once upon a time. She has a great memory.
Oh... we broke up in September.
And your blog?
Ummmmm... I've been too busy with work and school to write.
Who are you and what have you done with Jennifer?
Doc was right... my life has radically changed... and I keep telling myself it's only temporary. My last summer class is a week from Saturday, and then I'll be enjoying a two-week vacation. One week road tripping and visiting family and friends I see far less often than preferred, and the second week in a California cabin. Kayaking, hiking, wine tasting, and chilling out with an old college friend will be the order of the week. I... can't... wait. It has been too long since I went on a real vacation.
I will have class for five weeks starting in late August, and that will be it until January. Thank goodness. I miss my life. I especially miss my Saturdays. But mostly, I miss having free time without outstanding assignments hanging over my brainy head.
Grad school does have its advantages: I have connected with an amazing group of people who add so much to my life. In the long run, this short term pain, will most certainly have a long term gain. I am growing as a professional in my field, and acquiring skills that I would not have obtained any other way.
That said, 2013 is a painful summer indeed. There is no denying that. Painful summers are no bueno.
Today I took a break from that pain to meet a former colleague for lunch at Nona Sushi. We talked shop (as all teachers do) and kids (she has two kids in high school-- I'm great for that) and running. She is running her first full marathon in December, and I am so proud of her spirit. Before the end of lunch, she told me... Jen... you need to sign up for your races. She was right. We had talked about what I hoped to do, but I hadn't made a commitment to any future half marathons since running Disney's Princess Half Marathon in February.
Diligent training was not part of the process for the Princess, and the race was painful. I finished, which was the point, but my legs (as well as the rest of me!) had definitely seen better runs. I ran the Princess, but failed to run my best, because I chose not to train for my best run.
I was just glad to be out there again, conquering the tragedy that had
been losing my dear dad, and everything that followed. I ran to celebrate surviving 2012.
I signed up for 13.1 miles of the Space Coast Half/Full Marathon today-- the same event where my dear friend M. will be running the full 26.2 miles. I'll be there when she finishes, and we will share in our triumph. We will be triumphant because we are doing so much more than surviving... we find success in the small things like getting our shoes on and going out the door. That's all it takes. A celebratory life is a beautiful thing. (Even when one is in the midst of a painful summer!)
December 1, 2013 will be a day to remember. Running gives me strength, teaches me patience, and renews my spirit. This new goal assists in giving focus to my favorite form of therapy.
Training will help me to remember to make time for what is important. My education is important, my students are important, and my life is important.
Everything else is just noise. Who's got time for that?
Have a Thought About the Post? I'd like to hear it!
No comments:
Post a Comment