Monday, July 29, 2013

California Dreaming Part Two




Otherwise known as… The Perfect Moment


Right here, right now, at 7:08 a.m. on Sunday, July 28, 2013, I am having the most perfect moment. 

I woke up a few minutes ago in my blue gingham VS short pjs—the cutest pjs EVER—to hear coffee percolating.  I emerged from my bedroom in the cabin where I am spending the next few glorious days, to find my friend M. sitting at the kitchen table, reading an old issue of Real Simple Magazine, her cousin S. snoring peacefully upstairs in the cabin’s loft.  I found half a pot of coffee brewed in the kitchen, did a little happy dance, poured myself a cup, found a spot on the comfy couch, turned on my computer, and started writing.  Aside from the fan’s gentle whirring, S.’s rhythmic snoring, and the sound of my fingers striking the keyboard, it is completely… blessedly… quiet.  Occasionally I can hear birds chirping outside the window, and out that window there are trees, as far as the eyes can see.


A perfect, gorgeous, moment.


Yesterday was full of excitement as I embarked on my trip to California.  On the first leg of my journey from Orlando International Airport to LAX, a family sat next to me on the plane.  Make that a little girl.  An adorable, five year-old named Zoe, with light golden hair and the sweetest face.  I looked at her dad, and her mom who was across the aisle with their other two children, and nervously revealed, I’ve never flown with children before.  


Don’t worry, she’s good.  Zoe’s dad wasn’t kidding.  They were from Australia, with family in Canada, and had just finished a family vacation in Orlando.  Zoe was a pro at airplane travel.  She pulled out a bag of candy.  Is it too early for my sweets?


No—it’s okay.  Zoe had a few pieces and her father explained, My wife’s sister took the kids to the mall and they all returned with huge bags of candy.  


Is she mad at you about something?


Maybe!
 

My mind swiftly painted a picture of this kid bouncing off the walls on the airplane after eating candy at 8:00 in the morning.  Instead… she unwrapped the blanket procured from the flight attendant, and laid down, her head on the seat rest between us.  I asked Zoe, Do you want this one to use as a pillow until I need it?  I had my own wrapped blanket that I had intended to use if I got cold—I had forgotten my sweater at home.


Yes, please.  I handed over my blanket, which she placed upon the armrest.  With that, she was out—for hours.  Zoe woke up during the last hour of the trip, had a biscotti, some apple juice, and a bit more of her candy, chatting happily with her dad and me.  


Before we got off the plane, I told her mom how much I enjoyed flying with her daughter, and she laughed, Sure, especially with her sleeping in your lap!


That’s okay!  


Sometimes people surprise you.  Zoe certainly did.  


When I arrived at LAX, I had just enough time to grab a coffee and a bottle of water, before heading to my next gate for the final leg of my trip, from Los Angeles to Sacramento, where I was meeting up with my old friend M.  There were two young Japanese men behind me in line.  Their conversation, in Japanese, went something like this:


What are you getting?

I don’t know.  What are you getting?

I think I want a lemonade.

Ah, I want a cup of tea.

OK—you’re next in line.


It doesn’t matter where people are from or what language they speak—when they queue up in line at a café, everyone has the same conversation.


A few minutes after arriving at the gate of my connecting flight, we began to board.  It was one of the smoothest connections I have ever had.  When I got to my row on the puddle jumper, there was a man about ten years younger than me in the aisle seat.  I motioned toward the window seat, That’s me.  I stowed my laptop, he stood up so I could sit down, and we introduced ourselves.  The rest of the trip, we engaged in easy conversation about work, travel, and food, making the forty-five minute flight feel more like five minutes.  When we landed, we wished each other well, and went off to find our luggage.  I texted M., who replied she was running behind and would meet me curbside rather than at the baggage carousel.  


After I picked up my luggage—another joyfully smooth transition—I headed outside.  I didn’t know what her rental car looked like, but as soon as I stepped outside I saw a woman with bobbed brunette hair waving excitedly at me from behind the wheel of a black Mazda 3, my dear friend M.  She got out of the car, we hugged, and put my suitcase, cosmetic bag, and laptop bag in the trunk.  I’m sorry—I don’t travel light.


That’s okay—you haven’t seen my bag yet!


I took my place in the passenger seat, and we were off to meet her cousin for lunch, before the three of us headed east to the cabin.  My California adventure had begun.



Author’s note:  The author is chronicling her California vacation in a series of posts.  Since there is no wifi (or cellular connection of any kind), she is typing into Word, to be applied to the blog at the earliest 21st century opportunity.  This post has been brought to you by the free wifi provided by the Gold Country Roasters, a delightful coffee shop, located in the heart of Murphys. The adventures... continue.  :-)


Have a Thought About the Post? I'd like to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment