Monday, January 7, 2013

Single Girl, Resolute...

Otherwise known as... Breakfast by Candlelight

Yesterday I spent the day doing... whatever I wanted.  I wrote a blog post, listened to NPR, talked to a dear counselor-friend, cleaned my bathrooms, and read a few chapters of The Hobbit.  Mostly I'm reading The Hobbit because I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago-- phenomenal-- and since I originally read the book when I was in middle school and everyone else was reading it, I felt it was time for a good reread.

Quite correct.

I was envious of the rest of the world who would be watching Downton Abbey last night; alas, as a woman who bites her thumb at television, I had created my own misery, forced to wait until today to watch the first episode of season three.  I did gleefully watch this evening, but that's quite possibly a post for another time.  The world didn't end because I waited 20 hours later than the rest of North America, and I probably enjoyed it MORE because I was watching in the late afternoon rather than taking away from my precious dream state.

Except that I couldn't sleep last night.  At all.  Well... perhaps for a couple of hours, but for the most part, I was tossing and turning and counting numbers backwards (as is my way when I can't sleep!) and had a night most devoid of rest.  Ugggghhh.  I think mostly because I was so excited.

Today was not particularly special.  It wasn't a new semester, or the first day of school, and really, it had only been two weeks since I'd last set foot in My Small Town High School; nonetheless,  it felt like an opportunity.  The first day of work after the New Year!  It's an excuse for a new routine, and a rejuvenation of that feeling educators get in August, just before we meet our students, and all things seem hopeful.  Thus, I couldn't sleep to save my life.

When my alarm went off this morning, for the first time in some time, I literally bounded out of bed.  In 2012, I had gotten into bad habit of reading articles on NPR (as well as juicy gossip in the Huffington Post) before I would begin my day.  As a result, often times I would be pressed to get to work on time because I had had such trouble putting down my phone and the morning's reading before getting out of bed.

That all changed today.  I got out bed with vim and vigor, showered and readied myself for work, then came out into the kitchen and simultaneously prepared my morning breakfast as well as lunch.  Breakfast was the usual vanilla greek yogurt and defrosted frozen berries, complemented by a steaming mug of green tea.  Lunch, the classic PB &J, apple slices, and a sliced cucumber as well for good measure.

Last night I decided I would add something new to my morning routine:  Candlelight.  I have two pewter candlesticks in shape of tulips (my favorite flower) acquired from my favorite museum when I lived in Japan.  Last night I placed a tealight in each of the candlesticks, and this morning, ceremoniously lit the candles just before sitting down to breakfast.  It was a breakfast I have consumed at least a hundred times, probably more.  The candlelight made it a lovely treat.

Because I rose on time, I didn't have to rush getting to work... I didn't even take the turnpike.  The day was fine given my minor exhaustion from last night's lack of sleep.  Tomorrow morning, I'll be dining by candlelight once again.  If this is the only resolution I keep, I believe it's a good one.  There are more, but I think for tonight, I've written enough.  Besides, if I stop now, I might be able to sneak in just a few more chapters of The Hobbit before bed.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment