Thursday, January 24, 2013

Progress?

Otherwise known as... The Quandary

After taking eleven days off of half-marathon training due to Sis and me's little (ahem) accident, I returned to My Small Town Lakefront with a vengeance after work yesterday.  I ran three miles.  A great re-introduction of my body to the world of running.  Today I ran six.  Tomorrow's agenda includes my weekly distance run.  This week's length?  Ten miles. 

Goodness!!!

The good news is that I'm back on track, no pun intended.  Training is going well, this past Saturday was the second week spent in class for my Educational Leadership degree, and despite the fact that from 7 a.m. until whenever I get a chance to leave work at My Small Town High School is crazy busy, work is going really well too.  I feel like I'm back.  It's a great feeling.

Thank... goodness.

Recently, I have been contemplating my single status, partly due to my decision to return to school.  No boyfriend in sight, let alone husband material, so the time seemed right, even if it means giving up Saturdays for the next 15 months, to further my education.  A specialist's degree will mean a small bump in pay, which I need to pay attention to if I am to remain single.  Finances are important.

Friends are important too.  After class this past Saturday I reconnected with two old friends from college for dinner and drinks.  We shared stories and commiserated.  We are three, lovely, professional women, still single, no children.  It's hard for us singles when friends have kids because everything changes, and so it should.  But we miss the old ways.  And... we're a bit jealous, too.  At least I am.  I really shouldn't speak for my friends.  Like most women without children in their thirties, I have that irksome ticking clock that a family member unwittingly reminded me of on Christmas Day.  Like I need reminding!!!

So I am in a quandary.  I am contemplating a return to the online dating scene, which means energy devoted to emails from strange men whom I might have an actual first date with if we deem each other worthy.  I am also contemplating taking this next year while I'm in school to refocus and not worry so much about a lifemate. 

But then I wouldn't be me. 


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/24/2013

    Make your list of the must haves in a mate and then put it away. Concentrate on school and someone will appear - like magic. It always happens when you are not paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much easier said than done, Anon. I'll make that list... when have a bit of time. At the present, my schedule is way too packed to make time for dating. Maybe that will be the secret. :-)

    ReplyDelete