Monday, March 26, 2012

Scintillating is Overrated... Really?

Otherwise known as... Taking a Little Time to Cocoon...

I took a little break from writing.  I took a Spring Break, as a matter of fact.  I would love to tell you about the multitude of adventures I had during Spring Break...

But I can't.

Not because I was swinging from the chandelier or dancing on tables... although that would be infinitely more interesting than what I actually did. 

I can't tell you about my adventures because untrue to form... I didn't really have... any.

I drove my mother to Atlanta, spent two nights with my aunt and uncle in the 'burbs, and drove home, all parts of the journey blessedly uneventful.

The day after I came home I washed and vacuumed my car, bought The Hunger Games in paperback (because I have not yet broken down to buy the inevitable Kindle), and went home to watch what I am sure was the trashiest television Bravo has to offer.  (I must also say that it both shocks my friends and give them incredible comfort to know that I have trashy t.v. vices.) 

Tuesday, though, I did have an adventure of sorts.  I took a Bikram yoga class, courtesy of Groupon.  I bought 10 lessons for $40, which is the same introduction that I had to salsa... without the same results.  Doing Bikram yoga did not leave me feeling anything but regretful that I had nine more sessions to get through.  It was the most excruciating 90 minutes I've ever spent doing exercise in my life.

I am not exaggerating. 

For readers who don't know, Bikram is a 90 minute session of 26 yoga poses in a room that is 105 degrees Farenheit.  That's right, 90 minutes, 105 degrees, and I was paying for the pleasure.  Or the pain, as the case may be. 

That's another post.

The rest of the week, I cocooned.  I cleaned the house from top to bottom on Wednesday, and made an amazing minestrone soup for GDA and I.  Yep... even though Mom was away we still kept up our Wednesday night ritual. 

I started reading The Hunger Games on Thursday, read for a couple more hours on Friday, and finished the tome Saturday morning.  I even woke up in the middle of the night Friday night and read for an hour. 

It's been a long time since a book captivated me the way that The Hunger Games did.  If you have the chance, read the book before you see the movie.  GDA and I saw the movie on Sunday, and it was good, but of course, the book was more richly detailed and explained a lot of what was simply taken for granted in the film.  You can borrow my copy.  I had to buy one because all of my friends have e-readers.

I am so behind the times.  I can live with that.

Today marked the first day back to work at My Small Town High School after our Spring Break.  I may not have had the most scintillating break, but I think at this point of my life, scintillating is overrated. 

You never know... that might all change... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment