Sunday, March 11, 2012

Beaten By Bachata (Almost)

GDA and I went to a two-hour bachata workshop yesterday afternoon at Salsa Heat.  I had never taken a two hour class before but I thought I was up for the challenge.  Plus, GDA would be there to buoy me when I faltered.

How bad could it be?

If only I knew.

Before class started, a couple of bachata songs were played and GDA and I practiced the moves we have learned in previous classes.  I felt pretty good.  I'm still excrutiatingly aware that I am behind the cultural curve when it comes to learning Latin dances, but taking the time to learn a new skill has proven to be a positive influence on my life. 

Even when, as the worst dancer in the class I look like an utter fool... I persevere.  I will not be beaten.

Well... maybe just a little bit.  But not much.

Yesterday GDA and I decided that we would rotate rather than only dance with each other, which we discovered was advantageous because it gave me an opportunity to dance with the instructor, Eymar, during the rotation.  Eymar was really wonderful with me during class, taking time to give me pointers each time I took my turn with him. 

At one point, we were learning a part of the combination which ended in the lady doing a right turn.

I can do right turns.  They are not difficult.  At this point, I've done right turns hundreds of times.  There was something, though, about coming out of the combination and doing a right turn.... I just couldn't make my mind and my feet work together... and I was dancing with Eymar!!!  If I couldn't do it with him how was I going to expect a regular guy to lead me into the correct steps?! 

I had a little funny mini-tantrum.  I started jumping up and down and I exclaimed, I can't do this!!!  Everybody looked over and started laughing.  I was glad to provide comic relief.  I think I needed it more than anybody. 

Eymar began talking to me as he explained to the entire class, We all get frustrated sometimes.  The difference is using that frustration and saying, I can do this instead of giving up. 

I pulled myself together and eventually got the hang of the right turn.  When I did, Eymar encouraged, You did it! 

I did!  Then... I laughed.

If you know me you know my laugh.  It's loud.  It's unique.  It's all mine.  Think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman crossed with Wil E. Coyote as he falls down the canyon.  Again.

Omigod that's your laugh?!  Do it again so everyone can hear it!  Although it wasn't spontaneous I managed to replicate the Laugh.  Jen, that's awesome.

I'm not sure if Eymar was trying to find something for me to feel good about or if he was genuinely impressed with my laugh.  But either way, I'll take it.   I have long known that my laugh is one of my outstanding traits.  People either love it or they hate it.  Eymar apparently loved it.  (GDA does too, and often mimics me.)

During the rest of class, there were partners that I could do the combination with, and partners who I struggled with, just like when I take salsa.  That's normal.  I'm going to keep practicing and I will get better.  In the meantime, I will occasionally get frustrated, use laughter as a means to temper that frustration, and... just keep dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment