Otherwise known as the guy who said, "Brad Pitt is DREAMY"
On Friday I received a pleasant email from yet another Match suitor. I'll call him Jerry. He caught my interest because he said something more than "I checked out ur profile and I think ur cute. Call me." (Nothing turns me off more than excessive text-speak in an email!) Seriously, this is what people typically write. But not Jerry. He complimented my smile and gave me a bit of background info about himself and asked me a few questions. Plus he was... I have to say... just my type. (At least his profile was...)
GULP.
I wrote him back and told him that I was about to leave to meet my two favorite elementary school counselors for lunch at Nona Sushi, but that I'd write a proper response later. Which I did, when I returned. We emailed back and forth, then texted a wee bit, and a set a date for the next afternoon at 2 at the Enzian. Not to see a movie, just to meet at the Eden Bar for a bit of conversation.
Now would be a good time to tell you that my parents' house has been full of visitors. We had two friends in town from Guam, and my aunt and youngest cousin had come in from Jersey on Friday for my cousin's dance company to perform at Downtown Disney. I had been running around all week cooking, making up beds, making sure there were enough pillows and blankets and TOWELS for everyone. My mother had surgery on her toe last week, which limits her mobility. Plus her pain medication makes her a bit loopy.
We all had plans to see Sam perform yesterday morning at Disney, and then lunch at Too Jays, one of our favorite noontime destinations. I left lunch early to meet Jerry, and everyone was abuzz with the fact that I was going a date. I promised to be home by 5 to regale them with stories from my date.
I wasn't home by 5, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.
I drove to Maitland with the bit of butterflies in my stomach that I feel the first time I am meeting someone. I sang along with the radio (Teenage Dream by Katy Perry and no I am not ashamed!) and was feeling really good. Plus, even though it had been good to be so helpful this past week, it was nice to get away from the role of the Good Daughter and just be me for a bit.
When I got there, I scanned the area, and Jerry stood up and waved and came over to walk me to the table. He stuck his hand out and introduced himself. I shook it, and felt awkward. It's really always awkward that first meeting. Do you hug, shake hands, or make no body contact whatsoever? Jerry was a handshaker, and that was okay. He led me to the table he selected, right under two huge birds-of-paradise. I opted to face the plants rather than the bar. I get distracted by too much movement and I wanted to be able to focus on the conversation. We talked about the movie that was playing, The Tree of Life, but had decided not to see the movie because the purpose of the meeting was to get to know each other, not to see a movie, plus my time was limited. At least, I had thought it was. I said I wasn't sure I wanted to see Tree of Life, because it had gotten kind of mixed reviews, and it is truly an art film, which is not a bad thing, but I have to be in the right frame of mind to take in an art film. That's when Jerry said, But don't you want to see it? Brad Pitt is DREAMY.
I think it takes a very secure man to call another man dreamy. But truthfully, while Brad Pitt is very nice to look at, he's not my type. Which makes me wonder, what is my type? Ed Harris is my type. He's handsome. And Ryan Reynolds. Something about his eyes, even when he's wearing that crazy Green Lantern suit. But Brad Pitt? I don't know what's wrong with me, but... not so much.
The sky began to darken in typical Florida summer afternoon fashion, and after feeling a few raindrops we moved to a table that had cover. We talked more. After being there for close to two hours, we ordered beer and hummus. We talked about food, and cooking, and gardening. We talked about work and teenagers today and parenting and his dogs. He told me a bit of his story. I told him a bit of mine. The conversation flowed really easily. It was nice. He was open in a way that is hard to find these days. I could tell he was genuine. He's really cute, too. Deep brown eyes, dark hair with just a little sprinkling of gray... and he was quick-witted, but not overly sarcastic. A really, really good guy.
I think I'm saying too much and this is feeling too mushy... but it was a really good date! We were there for about 6 hours!!! Just talking!
We made plans for a second date and he walked me to my car, and I looked at my watch and told him I'd missed Prairie Home Companion. He said I could catch the podcast. Yep, he listens to NPR too. We hugged the obligatory first date hug, which was fine, even though I wondered if he kisses as well as he holds up his end of conversation.
We are meeting this afternoon to see The Tree of Life at the Enzian. After all, Brad Pitt is dreamy.
Yay. I hope it goes well. I might take R. Reynolds over Brad too. But perhaps not this life time.
ReplyDelete