Okay, so when we left our intrepid Single, she was going on a 2nd date with Jerry, who wasn't Brad Pitt, but was indeed dreamy... :-)
He would also like the world to know that he was joking when he said Brad Pitt was dreamy. I knew that, figured you would know that, but I've clarified nonetheless.
Second dates are not as awkward as first dates, especially not this one, since we had just sat and talked for six hours and pretty much established that we each thought the other was worth seeing the very next day. This is a good sign, right? I thought so.
We sat and talked some more... it's a great thing for me when I meet someone who can talk as much as I can. I can talk... A LOT. About a lot of things! Jerry can too! It's very comfortable. So anyway, we talked, and joked with the server, and learned about how apparently the campgrounds at Fort Wilderness are the place to have a kids' party. You rent out a unit or two, leave the guest list with security, and you've got an incredible BBQ soiree with Disney quality. But I digress.
We were meeting yesterday with the purpose of seeing The Tree of Life, an art movie with Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. I suspect we both just wanted to be in each other's presence again and that because we had sat for six hours the day before somewhat listening to folks murmur about the film, it made sense to see The Tree of Life. We also saw many audience members looking strangely shell-shocked as they filed out of the theater and into the parking lot but failed to heed that warning sign...
We went in, ordered our food, sat somewhat close to each other but we still hadn't held hands or been physically affectionate apart from the faintest squeezing of the arm on the way to or from the washroom.... I had a strange experience on another Match date-- a second date as well-- who was incredibly adverse to the notion of holding hands, so I am somewhat gun shy about approaching this... besides, I'm the girl! Isn't the guy supposed to make the first move? And when is the right time? Anyway, the movie... was... what we thought it would be... 2 1/2 hours of abstract images and dialogue, one minute a kid is shooting his brother in the finger with a BB gun point blank, another you're watching the birth of Earth, from volcanoes to dinosaurs, to watching Brad Pitt as a father of the 1950s doing his best to provide for his family and be respected and be a domineering, scary dad at the same time. Lots of whispered dialogue at the start of scenes, lots of stuff that would be so much better if I'd been tripping on acid. Not that I've ever tripped on acid, but it is that kind of movie. In fact, Jerry leaned over to me during the first set of funky images and whispered, I feel like I should be on acid! Then after a beat leaned over again and explained, Not that I do that sort of thing!
We were totally on the same page. But that didn't surprise me.
Have you ever been to an art museum that had a video installation? You walk into the room... maybe you sit down on the funky sitting piece, usually like a square ottoman... and then after a couple of minutes, you get up and move on to the next exhibit. You don't sit through the whole thing!
We sat through the whole thing, for 150 long minutes. 150 minutes that I'm trying to focus on the film, and gain meaning out of the images, and the dialogue, but I'm really thinking, I want to hold his hand!!! Doesn't he want to hold my hand? What is wrong with me? This feels awkward!!! When will we get to the kissing part?!
I feel like I sound like a crazed lunatic, but really, I'm very affectionate. I like giving and receiving affection. Very touchy-feely, but in a good-girl-kind-of-way. And while I had been getting very positive signals from Jerry (and doing my best to reciprocate those signals whilst remaining cool and not overly forward)... he was kind of shy in the physical affection area.... and it was only our 2nd date for goodness sakes! But being me, I wanted to confirm that this was more than just an enjoyment of a meeting of the minds. I had to be patient. Patience is a virtue, after all.
After the film, we too walked shell-shocked out of the theater, found a seat outside by the fountain, ordered beers, and shared our thoughts. It was a very long 2 1/2 hours, but we made it through, and in the end we were glad we did. We talked some more (did I mention we are both excessive talkers in the best way?!) and he told me he'd like to cook for me at his place sometime soon. I asked, "How about Wednesday?" He said, Great!
At which point, I buried my face and my hands and said, "OK!"
What's wrong, you clearly look perplexed!
"You're just... so easy... It's not usually this easy..." I've had too many recent experiences with emotionally distant men. Or maybe it was just one or two that have created this insecurity.
Hey... I'm not playing games here. I totally melted. How did this happen to me? I'm not playing games either. I've never been a game player.... but I've had a lot of trouble meeting someone who was where I was in life. At least I have since I've been in my 30s and moved back to my hometown after international adventures.
Long story short, he asked me if I'd like to meet the dogs and take a look at his little house. We had talked quite a bit about the yard since I am a plant person, and the dogs, who are, like my Aiko-chan, his kids, and he wanted me to meet them all. Even though we STILL hadn't held hands I accepted. I was ready. I also thought if he didn't make a move by the time I left, then I would. Because we both clearly were into each other. Which was so cool!!! Hooray!!!
So, I followed him back to his place, and his house is wonderful-- very warm and welcoming... neat and clean. The dogs-- golden retrievers named Molly and Henry-- were lovely. I mean, they were excited and everything that dogs should be when they meet someone new, and they were great. Molly met me first while Jerry held Henry back... She captured my heart instantly. I can't explain it... she has a calming spirit. Henry is... all boy. We took them out to the backyard and talked plants while the dogs played. We went inside, he took me on a tour, and everything was... just so warm. Very Jerry. His mother is an artist, and some of her work and other pieces she had given him were on the walls. The colors were natural and soft.
While we were sitting looking at his DVD collection, Henry found a bit of back in my untucked shirt and started nuzzling me. Jerry apologized and I said it was okay, I like affection... and he put out his hand and we talked about how we both wanted to hold hands in the movie and felt awkward.
It really is hard taking that first step.
Then the dogs both kissed me on the mouth. Hey, they could sense Dad focusing his attention the lovely stranger-girl.
They're not dumb. :-)
He got them off me and we stood up, and I said, "Hey, your dogs kissed me before you did!"
Suddenly Jerry was right in front of me, and that was the moment. And if you read my last post my question was answered. He most definitely kissed as well as he kept up his end of the conversation.
We have plans to cook together on Wednesday. It's really nice to find someone I can just be myself with. I'm not planning the next step or anything else about the future, I'm just so happy about the now. Okay, I'm also really happy about the cute, the talking, the movies, the sense of humor, and especially the mildest hint of a southern accent. And the smart, and the English major, and the... well, I could go on, but I know sooner or later he'll be reading this so I should just stop now.
So I am. I'll post more in the future about interesting dates of my past, but for now I think I should keep this one under wraps. I've hidden my profile on Match. I think it's best to be a one guy kind of girl.
He's the kind of guy I was afraid was hope for.... and his dogs kissed me first.
Awww.... I love it!
ReplyDeleteyay. glad his kiss lived up to your expectations. men with pets are different kinds of people, i think!
ReplyDelete