Otherwise known as... Setting a Rumor Straight...
In The Night Jen Said No-- Part 1, I described the pain of the two weeks leading up to the first day of school.
I think I did it so well, I don't quite need to go there again.
I didn't, however, specifically mention the amazing folks who support the school counseling department at My Small Town High School. Elaine, our hilarious, tell-it-like-it-is (who does the job of at least two if not three!) assistant, and Janie, our soon-to-be-retired (SOB!) data entry clerk (why is it that all the good people retire!) have worked their buns off getting students enrolled and in the proper classes. They are amazing people, and we could not do our job as well as we do without such fantastic support.
Really. I am not sucking up.
Okay... maybe I am a little. But they deserve a little sucking up! Right?!
So, Friday afternoon, our principal threw a pre-opening celebration for us at Irritated William's. The gathering was to last from 3 to 5. When folks got to the restaurant, there was an assortment of appetizers available to us. Soft drinks were on the house, and anything "not soft" was on our own dime. That's fair. I had been hard at work giving schedules to students who would be at orientation on Monday, and didn't get out of the office until 4:30. Most of my counseling team elected not to attend the gathering because they felt they would get there too late-- plus they were still working. As I said, I got out at 4:30.
There are always those who party well past the official end time of a social gathering. Plus, it's kind of fun to observe people who have well-imbibed. Not only that, it was great to see everyone having fun. Eventually, the party became the last table standing. There were at least ten or twelve chairs around it, loads of empty glasses on the table informing diners of heathens in the midst. This is My Small Town-- I have no doubt that at least one person at Irritated William's uttered the word heathens under her breath. It's true. We were.
At one point one of the ladies' husbands sent a platter of tequila shots rimmed with salt to the table. I rose to get a light beer from the bar. While I was waiting for my beer, I heard the tell-tale whoo of a group doing a shot together.
I draw the line at doing shots with my colleagues. Just. Too. Dangerous. Plus, somebody had to make sure they were okay. It's a role I'm comfortable with. Everybody around me gets a little nuts, and I turn into Mother Hen. Plus, I was driving. I definitely don't do shots and drive. That's a headline waiting to happen.
Jen? Have a shot!
Nah... I've gotta drive!
Oh, okay! At least they were cool about it.
A few minutes later, Janie looked at me. I need a cigarette. Jennifer? That man outside is smoking. Go get a cigarette for me.
I am not sending you into retirement SMOKING. NO!
Another lady at our table had an electric cigarette-- the kind that lights up and looks like a cigarette but doesn't smell. She gave the electric cigarette to Janie. Someone else asked, Janie, why aren't you smoking for real?
Jennifer said no.
That's right, I said no, and I'd say no again.
One teacher in attendance whom I'm particularly fond of-- Coach Whopper-- had been a teacher when I was a student at My Small Town High School. I was never his student, but I have a lot of great memories watching him coach my friends on the basketball team, and he is one of the few people on staff who make me break out into the biggest grin when he happens to walk down our hall. On this particular night, he regaled us with bad jokes and funny stories. Someone took a picture of him between Elaine (who has red hair), and MaryAnn, an administrative assistant in the office. Look at me, I'm between Ginger and MaryAnn!
Seriously, I can't make this stuff up. It doesn't translate so well into print, but it was quite an evening. Julio, my best friend's boyfriend was in the house, too, since he joined our staff last December.
Later on, everyone decided to go outside to listen to the live country music. Coach Whopper was dancing with a member of the office staff, and Julio asked me to dance. It's like a slow merengue. Yes it was. As my dance instruction leapt into action, I savored the moment. And I missed GDA. He is my favorite dance partner.
I decided not long after that to go home to my sweet. There's only so long that you can be the token sober counselor at the party. This morning I had the shock of my life as we were retelling stories from the crazy evening at Irritated William's. Jen, who was that guy you went home with?
I was aghast. I went home with myself. To my loving boyfriend! They thought that Julio and I... well... were giving them something to talk about.
I don't think so!
But that's the pleasure in a fun, crazy night out. You get stories that get repeated for years to come. Although in the cold light of day, on the first day of the new school year, I was glad to set one rumor straight.
Every team, no matter what the industry, needs an opportunity to let it all hang out and celebrate the hard work leading up to that moment. But maybe next time, we'll do a bit of hanging at a house party instead.
No comments:
Post a Comment