Otherwise known as... The Day Chad Tried to Kill Us!
Okay... Today, even I have to admit... I didn't love boot camp. Even though I looked forward to the workout all day... it was really, really hard.
Boot camp is always hard, but today's session was supremely hard.
I'm already hobbling. That is not a good sign.
Today Chad, our uber-instructor, had us doing a series of exercises for a few minutes at a time, then had us do some sort of plank while he instructed us on the next series of exercises. The first set was 10 push ups, 10 lunges, 10 situps, running out to the cone which was located about 20 yards away, and then doing the set all over again for the allotted time. We were given a couple of other sets, and then the unthinkable occurred.
A tabata drill. Tabatas (first mentioned in Back to Boot Camp... Part 2 and ...Part 4) are when one does the same exercise to the point of exhaustion. Twenty seconds on, 10 seconds of rest, then the next set and so on. True tabata drills are 8 sets long.
Today we did a chiisai (small) tabata, and that was enough. We were given a choice of two exercises: speedy squats (Chad had another name for them but basically they were speedy squats: you go down, you come up, you go down again. Immediately.), or power jacks, which are squats that end up as jumping jacks. Repeat. Not being one to shy away from a challenge (otherwise known as fully buying into Chad's plan to kill me slowly), I went for the power jacks. I did the first two sets satisfactorily, then switched to squats for the third set. Then Chad went into motivation mode, and guilted me into switching back to the power jacks. I kept going, and kept going, and gave the 6th set my all. I was out of breath, and felt completely nauseous, but I finished strong.
I prayed that my lunch of hummus and baby carrots would stay where it belonged. While I managed to keep my lunch down, I must say it did threaten.
Boot camp has never made me sick. After the tabata drill Chad went easy on us for a few minutes, before the final whollop. Another set of three exercises that included the squat thrust jack.
Yes-- it kind of looks as dirty as it sounds. But aside from that, it's really unfun. After my near-ralph experience with the power jacks, I was forced into take-it-easy-or-else mode. I did each exercise, but there was very little high-impact involved. Chad came over to me just before I took a lap and asked me if I was okay. I hugged my stomach. I don't feel good-- at all.
Chad made a ralphing face. Yep. I'm taking it easy.
Which is what I did... I still participated, but I was well aware that I was in the danger zone. After class, Chad told me I had turned gray.
I didn't throw up. And I lived to camp another day. No doubt I will be stronger as a result of today's workout. And that is why I go. Boot camp makes me strong, inside, and out. And that, my friends, is exactly what the doctor (and the boot camp instructor) ordered.
I wish the same for you.
wow, now that is a work out! ( i would have thrown up and died on the floor lol....Antonia Aviles)
ReplyDeleteAntonia-- I've seen the way you twirl at salsa! I think you could've handled it. :-) The most important rule of camp is that you push yourself to your limit. And today I absolutely did. My body may have revolted, but I am proud of my performance. :-)
ReplyDeleteOohhhh , that's why a couple firetrucks were speeding like crazy going your way. It was you ....;)
ReplyDeleteSquats are not good for the knees . . .
ReplyDelete@ Anon #1-- Very funny, GDA.
ReplyDelete@ Anon #2-- I know that squats can be hard on the knees, but we are given an alternate based on our ability level. I doubt a few sets of squats a couple times a week are going to send me to the surgeon... but I appreciate your concern!