Friday, April 13, 2012

Gray and Crazy

Otherwise known as... Making a difference, one gray wiry strand at a time...

I spent half of this week in FCAT purgatory.  I call it purgatory because it is what I imagine purgatory to be like... you know you're eventually going to get out, although you don't quite know when, and it is a painfully boring experience.  It's like watching paint dry. 

No, it's worse.

I could say more, but I won't.

When I wasn't in purgatory, I was meeting with seniors at risk of not graduating due to their third quarter grades and other factors. 

It was a highly stressful week, for myself and my fellow counselors at My Small Town High School, for the parents we called, and most importantly, for the students we met for The Talk.  More than a few tears were shed; quite a few telling me, Miss, I've got this.

If you've got this then why is my hair going gray?!  (Furthermore, if they've "got this" then how in tarnation did they get this predicament in the first place!!!)

Alright... I feel much better now that my little rant is off my chest.  I spent the afternoon tailoring a very special presentation showcasing our department's website and its plethora of resources to the kids (and their parents) who have Saturday School tomorrow. 

Even though I get exasperated, and I admit a little crazy, this time of year... I do my job because I care.  I have hope that I am making a difference in the life of a child, and possibly a positive impact on the very community which shaped me into the person I have become.

Even if I'm turning gray.  And going crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment