A few weeks ago, as written about in Meet the Parents... 2016, I had dinner with my Ztastic's parents at their lovely home just a bit south of My New Small Town. While at the dining table, we talked about the upcoming Mother's Day, and what we could do to celebrate together. I suggested paella, a dish I'm famous for among my friends.
Just let me check my calendar. Ztastic pulled out his iPhone.
And then my world spun, just for a moment. That's the weekend I'm flying to San Diego.
You're what?
Ztastic had made plans to visit good friends, which I completely support, because travel, and getting away, are so good for the spirit. I had done it myself at the start of last month when I flew to DC to visit dear friends and run a great race. But I had made my plans before we met, and our time is precious due to his obligations as an incredibly loving, protective single dad.
I got over my surprise and minor dismay pretty quickly as Ztastic's mother looked at me, It doesn't matter, we'll get together anyway.
Yes we will. I turned to Ztastic, We're having paella. (Which has a meaning all on its own between myself and my darling boyfriend.)
Not that kind of meaning.
Where is your mind?
And so today Momtastic and Dadtastic joined me and my own fantastic mother for paella, mango and avocado salad, and homemade chocolate sorbet (with raspberries-- to be fancy). I was nervous about having my boyfriend's parents to my home for the first time. Was it clean enough? Decorated well enough? Big enough? Would my food be good enough?
I know right now my friends are chuckling. My food... is legendary... if I can say such a thing and be humble. And my home... well... it's home, and it's me, a condo with vaulted ceilings overlooking a golf course, decorated in browns and blues and pictures of the people I love all around. I decorated my home with the word retreat on my mind. After years with my mother and surviving the deepest grief I have ever known, I needed this space just a few minutes from work, to learn how to be myself, on my own again.
When Ztastic's parents first came over, they were taken by my porch, filled with plants and overlooking the rough part of a quiet golf course. Momtastic walked onto the porch, and saw her Mother's Day present and card, next to my mother's own present (Mom had already seized her card), identical aside from the variety of African Violet. Momtastic was born in South Africa. I've been dying to give her an African Violet ever since before we met. Today, I made it happen, in an adorable turtle planter.
Jennifer, you are so, so sweet.
Honestly, that was all I needed to make the constant butterflies in my suffering gut take a bit of rest.
Ideally, my Ztastic would have been here with us today, as we enjoyed my signature dish, around my small table, and sharing excellent laughter. But the thing about relationships is that you have to let each other be, and you have to be strong and confident in who you are and know that you have found each other for a reason.
And texts from your sweet declaring "I'm missing you"?
Those are a bonus. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment