Otherwise known as.... I Can Live With Hokey
Soooooo, I took a little break from writing Single. I took a break for a lot of reasons, but mostly it boiled down to:
1. Late spring is crazy busy for school counselors. Graduation. Scheduling for the following school year. Tying up loose ends on the current year. Gray hairs increase exponentially during this time of year. When I wasn't at work the last thing I wanted to be near was a keyboard.
2. GDA and I fell into a rut of the worst kind... that coupled with the fact that we were both working nearly all the time, limited the subject matter. There's only so many times one can say that she fell asleep on the couch while her boyfriend was watching an action movie. I spared readers the monotony.
3. I moved in with Mom after Dad passed, and it was hard to find "space" to write. For me-- and I imagine it's this way with most writers-- I have to feel like I have room. Physical space, and mentally, I needed room to breathe. Although I was glad to give Mom the company she needed, and ease her transition into widowhood, I gave up that space. It was a sacrifice, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but it wasn't anywhere close to easy and I wasn't prepared to share my struggles in what is supposed to be a lighthearted blog about my adventures as a professional woman in her 30s attempting to navigate her way through singlehood, and beyond.
I moved out three weeks ago into a place of my own, and it has taken a while to get my writing mojo back.
But I'm back, baby, I'm back.
Summer vacation started just over a week ago, which allows for ample time reveling at the keyboard, in search of the perfect word to describe the latest adventure, or misadventure, as the case may be. So please join me as I chronicle Summer 2012.
Losing my dad has left a massive hole in my heart and honestly has taken a bit of spark out of my life, but the time has come to move forward into the next chapter. I don't yet know what the title of that chapter will be, but I know it shall be written. That sounds kind of hokey, but there you have it. I am nothing if not at least a little bit hokey. And truth be told probably a lot. And that's okay.
I love my broken old hokey self. I hope you do, too. :-)
Glad you are back.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Carmen!
ReplyDelete